Album Review: Demi Lovato effortlessly blends R&B with pop on 'Tell Me You Love Me'

Former Disney star Demi Lovato is back with her sixth studio album, Tell Me You Love Me. The 25-year-old has always had a powerful voice, and, on her 2015 album, Confident, she established herself as a full-fledged pop diva.

On her newest album, Lovato excels into a new level of confidence and accepts the truths about adulthood. In the lead single, “Sorry Not Sorry,” Lovato doesn’t hold back and reestablishes how headstrong she can really be.

Throughout the album, each song stands alone while not overshadowing others. A strong component is the brutal honesty and truthfulness Lovato illustrates with her lyrics. While this album is confident and daring, it also shows Lovato’s soft and vulnerable side. This is especially seen in title track and “Cry Baby.” Some lyrics might relate to her recent breakup with MMA fighter Guilherme Vasconcelos, or even her 2016 breakup with former That ‘70s Show star Wilmer Valderrama.

Overall, the singer-songwriter details her travels through adulthood: feeling sexy, ups and downs in relationships and the utter freedom of being an adult.

To illustrate that, Lovato blends the fun of pop with the soulfulness of rhythm and blues. She had even hinted at this in previous interviews and articles.

This underlying R&B-influenced sound also compliments her usage of runs and her vocal range. Her voice resembles a superpower, and she uses it not only to convey emotion but to carry her songs. The pop star strives on the catchiness of her songs, and every song on Tell Me You Love Me fits the bill. 

One of the most surprising aspects of the album is the featured artists. Lil Wayne is featured both on the standard and deluxe albums. Featured on the deluxe are British DJ Jax Jones and British rapper Stefflon Don, along with American DJ duo Cheat Codes. This array of artists not only contributes to the variety of sounds on the album, but also shows Lovato giving a platform artists that are drastically different from her. 

To say Demi Lovato played it safe with this album would be a disservice. The album  as a whole shows major growth, which can be attributed to her growth as a person. The singer solidified herself as a pop diva — if she wasn’t one already. This album proves she’s able to stand along the likes of Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande and even Whitney Houston. She’s found her niche with Tell Me You Love Me, and it seems like her success will only go up from here. 

Rating: 4/5 

@mollyschramm2

ms660416@ohio.edu