Ohio’s Heather McGuire (left) and Konstantina Giannou (right) make their way up Chessa Field during Ohio’s 3-0 loss to Bowling Green on March 28. (Photo by Mijana Mazur -Ohio Athletics)

Soccer: Ohio ends four-game losing streak with a 1-0 win against Kent State

Ohio hosted Kent State at Chessa Field on Thursday afternoon for its first of two home games this weekend to finish out the season. The Bobcats snapped their four-game losing streak as they defeated the Golden Flashes 1-0.

Junior Abby Townsend got the momentum going early at the 8:15 mark in the first half with her second goal of the season for Ohio (3-6, 3-6 Mid American Conference). Townsend has been dynamic for the Bobcats and continues to be a bright spot as a leader throughout her years with this team. 

“I know she has been down on herself and frustrated with herself,” coach Aaron Rodgers said. “We watched the film this week and talked about it, talked through it and all the good things she has been doing, and not to stay down on herself and just keep plugging away.”

Although this was the only goal for both teams in the game, it was an important one for Ohio and made a huge impact with getting things on the right track.

“Obviously we’ve been on a little bit of a losing ground,” Rodgers said. “Energy is so important to kind of turn that around and we knew Kent was gonna come out strong.”

Both Kent State (2-5, 2-5 MAC) and Ohio stayed aggressive despite the rain. Ohio never lost its fight and saw success together as a team . 

Junior goalkeeper Sam Wexell was another bright spot after securing her first shutout of the season. This came after Kent State had 13 shots, three of them being on goal, but Wexell didn’t let anything get past her. 

The Bobcats had the lead throughout most of the game but knew things could change at any time, so they had to finish just like they began. Ohio didn’t let Kent State battle back and strength was shown across the field. 

“It was a lot of effort, a lot of energy, a lot of battling,” Rodgers said. 

The Bobcats were able to finish a lot of chances and build chemistry against Kent State, which is something they have been lacking recently. This game was important for the Bobcats to pull a strong finish together and see success nearing the end.  

“We battled, we worked hard,” Rodgers said. “I think that’s gonna help our confidence and our momentum going into that last game against Buffalo.”

Ohio did exactly what it needed to do and was able to get a well-earned victory. The Bobcats are back in action Sunday as they look to finish their shortened season on a high note against Buffalo. 

@mariamonesii

mm017019@ohio.edu