Baker Center on Ohio University's campus is home to many important offices such as the Multicultural Center, student senate offices and much more that all freshman should get to know.

Student Senate announces 2021 election results

Ohio University’s Student Senate election Tuesday resulted in two members of the Athens Advocacy ticket winning executive positions and one member of the Build Together ticket taking the third. 

According to election results from the Senate Judicial Panel, 854 students voted in the election, which is an increase from 815 students in the 2020-2021 election. 

Current Treasurer Becky “Eliza” Ivan, a senior studying political science and law, justice and culture, was a part of the Athens Advocacy ticket and won the presidential election with 384 votes, while Governmental Affairs Commissioner Maxeen Ramlo, a junior studying mechanical engineering and part of the Build Together ticket, followed closely with 377 votes. Independent vice presidential candidate Richard Danylo, a junior studying chemical engineering and computer science, also received three votes. 

Current Chief of Staff Elaina Tartal, a junior studying political science and sociology-criminology who ran on the Athens Advocacy ticket, received 408 votes for vice president and won. Danylo received 252 votes, and Brogan Speraw, a senior studying mechanical engineering who ran as an independent candidate, received 104 votes.

Simar Kalkat, a sophomore studying finance, business analytics and economics and a candidate on the Build Together ticket, won the election for treasurer with 312 votes. Director of Public Relations Emily Ertle, a junior studying finance, business economics and business pre-law, followed with 280 votes. Independent candidate Sarah Packard, a junior studying management information systems, business analytics and management strategic leadership, received 179 votes.  

“I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone that supported us (throughout) our campaign,” Tartal said in a message. “I am honestly so appreciative that OU believes in me as much as I believe and support them.” 

Ivan and Tartal already have many plans to follow through on in the coming year, Tartal said.

“I’m very thankful for this opportunity to take our plans and goals into action,” Ivan said in a message. “I am very excited to use this position to amplify the voices of every student at OU and make a lasting impact on our community for the better! My goal is to leave Athens community and Ohio University better than when I got here.”

@CSchiopota

cs123719@ohio.edu