5 ways to reduce stress this spring

April is Stress Awareness Month. As the semester is coming to an end, it can be really easy to find yourself stressed, especially because of finals. Taking care of yourself is a big priority during these times. Relieving stress isn’t always easy, but there are ways to help reduce it. Here are some ways to help you through these final weeks. 

Do some spring cleaning

Now is a great time to start cleaning out that closet. Swap out the sweaters and bring out your spring and summer clothes. It’s a perfect opportunity to look through your clothes and get rid of the ones you don’t want anymore. 

Sometimes being disorganized can make you overwhelmed. No one can feel motivated in a room full of clutter. So, do some decluttering in your room and sort through your belongings.  A less-cluttered space will put you in a calmer mood, reducing stress. It will help you feel more productive. A clean room can even help you focus more on other things as well. 

Go catch some rays 

As the sun comes out more, you should too!  As the seasons switch and the weather gets warmer, seasonal depression starts to fade away. Soaking up the sun helps your brain release serotonin to boost your mood and make you feel calmer.  Plus, you get the benefit of obtaining some Vitamin D to help maintain your health. Vitamin D helps regulate your mood, strengthen your bones and can boost weight loss. Sunlight can also make you feel more awake during the day, which can improve your sleep later.

Studying outside can minimize distractions and help you focus. A simple walk can help you clear your head, think of creative ideas and be more active. Getting up and being active can reduce negative health effects. Even spending a nice day outside with some friends would relieve a lot of stress as well. 

Try not to procrastinate

As the end of the semester approaches, it can seem very easy to wait until last minute. Make a list of things you want to accomplish each week. Try to spread out your work so you’re not rushing to get everything done in a pinch.  Prioritize the things that are the most important or hardest.  If you’re too distracted, put your phone away. Reward yourself after completing big tasks in your day.  Rewarding yourself also helps motivate you to complete your tasks quicker. 

You may be scared to complete something because it’s too difficult or you’re scared that you’ll get a bad grade.  Remember that you don’t have to strive for perfection. Try to do the best you can on any task.  If you need help, ask your classmates or professor any questions you may have on an assignment. 

Listen to some soothing tunes

Music is truly the best medicine. It’s one of the best ways to provide comfort. Try not to listen to songs that might bring you down. Pick up the tempo, and listen to something that puts you in a good mood. Listening to music releases dopamine in your body to make you happier and feel more motivated. 

The songs you listen to can also reduce levels of cortisol, a stress hormone in your body. It can even help you pay attention and enhance your memory. Music also increases your endurance and performance while doing daily tasks. If you need some inspiration, check out these 9 motivational songs to help you through the semester

Take frequent breaks

Make sure to take some time out of your day for yourself. Working and staring at a screen all day can take a lot out of you.  Try to do something that calms you down and clears your head. Go outside to get some fresh air and soak in the sun. If you feel stuck on something, take a break. When you come back to it, you might not feel as stuck as you were.  

Schedule a naptime; kids aren’t the only ones who need them. You are more likely to process and retain information that you just studied if you rest afterwards.  Even take a break from any and all devices. Staring at your device’s screen for very long will affect your melatonin levels and ruin your sleep schedule.   

Take a moment to talk with some friends. Ask them how they’re doing, or if they need help on anything. Hanging out with some friends on a regular basis will increase your oxytocin levels. Building and maintaining connections with others is very important to get yourself and your friends through tough times like these.                                                                                                                          

Remember that you are not alone. Stress can be very overwhelming, especially during times like these. If you are feeling extremely stressed and need to seek help, don’t be afraid to consult the Counseling and Psychological Services

@loganhumphrey

lh129720@ohio.edu