Weekender Briefs: Take a walking tour of the Athens Asylum, virtually view student theater productions

Friday, April 9

IWeek Culture Day at 9 a.m., hosted virtually by Ohio University International Student and Faculty Services Office and Office of Global Affairs and International Studies. Celebrate the final day of IWeek 2021. International students will be highlighted virtually during culture day. New videos can be found each hour on the OU IWeek website

Admission: Free

Diversity & Inclusion Drop-In Career Corner at 10 a.m., hosted virtually by OU’s Career and Leadership Development Center and Division of Diversity and Inclusion. Get help with career-related needs from career coach Tamika Williams. Sessions are often used to discuss resume feedback or to answer general questions about career development. 

Admission: Free

Coping Clinic: Feel Good Fridays at 11 a.m., hosted virtually by OU’s Counseling and Psychological Services. Join Counseling and Psychological Services for an online, drop-in workshop that offers students creative ways to explore their thoughts and feelings. Resources to practice healthy behaviors will also be presented. Students do not have to be a client with Counseling and Psychological Services, or currently located in the state of Ohio to engage in Coping Clinic workshops.

Admission: Free

Virtual Shabbat at 6 p.m., hosted by Hillel at Ohio University via Zoom. Join OU Hillel for a student-led, virtual Shabbat. Although the event is online, students are still encouraged to lead prayer, offer a D'var or contribute musically. Registration is required through OU Hillel’s website.

Admission: Free

Saturday, April 10

For the Love of Athens Photo Contest Gallery Exhibit at 8 a.m., hosted by ARTS/West and the Athens Community Center, 701 E State St. View “For the Love of Athens,” a photo contest and exhibition celebrating the people and places of Athens County. The show has been on display over the past few months at ARTS/West, and now, it is being hosted at the Athens Community Center for an encore viewing. Questions can be directed to Emily Beveridge at 740-592-4315 or ebeveridge@ci.athens.oh.us.

Admission: Free

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers market. The market accepts SNAP, credit cards and wholesome wave. Masks are recommended, and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

Spring Consignment at 10 a.m., hosted by Chesterhill Produce Auction, 8380 Wagoner Rd, Chesterhill. Attend the 2021 Spring Consignment auction featuring handcrafted wood products, quality consignments, farm tools, livestock and more. Consignments need to be in by April 9. Walk-through will begin at 8 a.m. on April 10. The auction will start at 10 a.m. Questions can be emailed to jessica@chesterhillproduceauction.com.

Admission: Free

Walking Tour of the Historic Athens Asylum at 2 p.m., hosted by Southeast Ohio History Center, 100 Ridges Cir. Tour the famous Athens Asylum, one of the few Kirkbride Asylums left. George Eberts, long-time Asylum employee and local expert on the Athens Asylum, will be leading an outdoor walking tour of the historic Asylum grounds and buildings. Pre-registration is required, and spots can be reserved by calling 740-592-2280.

Admission: Southeast Ohio History Center members: $15, regular non-member adult: $18, students with a Student ID: $10, children 12 and under: free

LFC Presents: “Clue” at 7 p.m., hosted virtually by the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company. View the Lost Flamingo Theatre Company’s live production of Clue. In the play, six colorful characters find that they're all suspects for dinner-party murder at their host's lavish mansion. Their precious secrets are revealed, and the murderer could strike again anytime, so they had better find a clue. Tickets can be purchased through AnywhereSeat.

Admission: $10 or any amount higher for donations

Tantrum Theater presents: “Spring Awakening” at 8 p.m., hosted virtually by Tantrum Theater. View Spring Awakening, an angsty rock musical adaptation of the seminal play about the trials and tribulations of growing up. The winner of eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Spring Awakening is an electrifying fusion of morality, sexuality and rock and roll. The link to stream the musical is available via showtix4u.com.

Admission: General admission: $10.00, student admission: $5.00

Sunday, April 11

Day Paddling - Canoeing at 1:00 p.m., hosted by Bobcats Well-Being and OU Campus Recreation, Strouds Run State Park. Join Outdoor Pursuits for a day of paddling at Strouds Run State Park. Participants can sign up through OU’s RecShop website.

Admission: Free

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu