Weekender Briefs: Explore art exhibits at the Athens Public Library, celebrate the Fourth of July with fireworks

Friday, July 2

“Perceive with Caution” A Kennedy Museum of Art Merging Concepts Exhibition at 9 a.m., hosted by the Kennedy Museum of Art, 100 Ridges Circle. Visit the Kennedy Museum to see the student-developed, curated, designed and installed “Perceive with Caution” art exhibit. To schedule a time to see the exhibit, fill out the Kennedy Museum’s visitor approval Google Form.

Admission: Free

Mixed Media on Canvas: The Art of Robin Brigante at 9 a.m., hosted by the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. View the mixed media works of local artist Robin Brigante. After Brigante was injured in a car accident that rendered her paraplegic, she began to explore arts and crafts. Since then, she has been creating wall paintings, painted furniture and jewelry. Brigante’s art will be on display at the Athens Public Library until July 30.

Admission: Free

People on Paper: The Paper Doll Art of Vivian Huggins at 9 a.m., hosted by the Athens Public Library, 30 Home St. Explore the paper doll artwork of Vivian Huggins. Huggins has been creating paper dolls for a long time, using pen and watercolor paints. Her subjects range from historical figures to made-up people. Huggins’ art will be on display at the Athens Public Library until July 30.

Admission: Free

Saturday, July 3

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by the Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E. State St. Shop for locally grown and locally made foods and goods at the farmers’ market. The market accepts SNAP, credit cards and wholesome wave. Masks are recommended, and social distancing protocols are in place.

Admission: Free

City of Athens Fireworks at 10 p.m., hosted by the City of Athens at the end of East State Street. View Fourth of July fireworks at Athens’ annual event. Support for the event comes from Jerry’s Fireworks, the Athens Fire Department and the Athens Police Department. The Athens City Pool will also be free on July 4 during regular swim hours. For more information contact the Athens Arts, Parks and Recreation Department at 740-592-3325.

Admission: Free

Sunday, July 4

Thunder in the Valley 2021 at 10 p.m., hosted by the City of Nelsonville on the Hocking College Campus, 3301 Hocking Pkwy., Nelsonville. Celebrate the Fourth of July with fireworks at Nelsonville’s Thunder in the Valley 2021. Parking for the show is available at Hocking College, but the fireworks will be visible throughout the surrounding hills of Southeast Ohio. The Nelsonville Division of Fire is selling VIP parking passes for the fireworks show for $10 and VIP walk-in passes for $3 per person. Questions about tickets and the event can be directed to the Nelsonville Fire Department at thunder@cityofnelsonville.com or 740-753-1244.

Admission: $10.00 for VIP parking passes, $3 for VIP walk-in passes.

@isabelnissley

in566119@ohio.edu