The Ohio Statehouse. (Photo via ohiostatehouse.org)

OU President Hugh Sherman to attend expected signing of Collin’s Law

Ohio University President Hugh Sherman is planning to attend the anticipated signing of Collin’s Law on July 6 at the Ohio Statehouse. 

Sherman’s decision to attend follows an invitation from Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, according to university spokesperson Carly Leatherwood. 

Collin’s Law memorializes OU student Collin Wiant, who experienced extreme hazing during his time at OU and died of asphyxiation in November 2018 at the unofficial annex house of Sigma Pi. 

The law, also known as Senate Bill 126,  unanimously passed in the Ohio Senate June 16. An amended version of the bill was also unanimously passed in the Ohio House of Representatives June 25. 

According to a previous Post report, the amended version of the bill “removes a provision that would make it illegal for parents or guardians of university students to recklessly allow an act of hazing in certain cases.” This version of the bill will be reviewed by DeWine on July 6. 

If signed by DeWine, certain provisions associated with Collin’s Law may impact OU students as soon as the upcoming Fall Semester, according to a previous Post report.

Collin’s Law will increase the punishment of hazing from a misdemeanor to a felony in Ohio. Additionally, the law will require universities to provide information publicly and keep record of all Code of Conduct violations of student organizations. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor