Business owner Uwera Rodriguez created her own line of jewelry as a way for women to feel more confident in their own skin. (Photo provided by @nogamajewelry via Instagram)

New York City NOGAMA Fine Jewelry prevails despite COVID-19 pandemic

The amount of recognition and reverence that comes with being a business owner, especially during the pandemic, is immense. But what about the amount that is received when one is not only a business owner, but also a midwife, an avid New Yorker and most importantly, a mother? The answer is infinite. 

Uwera Rodriguez, however, is that powerhouse of a being. She is confident, feminine, supportive and successful, and what better way to portray all of her poignant personality traits than by selling jewelry? 

Rodriguez opened NOGAMA Fine Jewelry in 2019, just prior to the onset of the COVID-19 outbreak. The name NOGAMA is sentimental and purposeful as it is titled after the first two letters of each of her son’s names: Noah (8), Gabriel (5) and Malachi (3). It was after Rodriguez gave birth to her last child, Malachi, that she realized a lot of mothers go through postpartum depression, and when they’re pregnant, some do not feel like themselves. This epiphany led Rodriguez to want to play a role in women feeling more confident in their own skin. 

Rodriguez classifies herself as a “girly girl” and has since she was a child. She can confidently say that she always loved jewelry. The first piece she ever received was from her father. That piece was a necklace with a clown juggling circus balls, and each ball was a different stone. She still has it today. With that being said, Rodriguez recognized that her connection with jewelry was more than wearing it to fit a certain standard, but instead, she recognized that each piece encompassed meaning. 

“I love (that) aspect of it. I love meeting a client and starting to have a relationship with (him/her) and just kind of be a part of their life because, for every special occasion, they come back and buy a piece from me,” Rodriguez said. She compares it to being a private stylist. Rodriguez also explains how jewelry is often passed down as a family heirloom, which is why investing in quality articles is crucial to building more powerful relations with others. 

Additionally, throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Rodriguez felt that jewelry was more in-demand than ever, ultimately benefiting her business. Although Rodriguez plans to open a boutique one day, her brand is currently operating as an online shop. Online shopping became prevalent during quarantine, but that wasn’t the only reason NOGAMA continued to succeed. In virtual meetings, interviewers and employers can only see people from the chest up, meaning that jewelry stood out more than ever before.

As for her success with establishing a business, a lot of factors played a role in determining the extent of it. For starters, Rodriguez is a Black, female business owner. Her ancestors are from the Congo and Rwanda, but Rodriguez was born in Belgium. 

“To be honest there’s not that many Black owners in the jewelry business itself...we’re a small, small, small percentage,” Rodriguez said. “But I think it’s great to be recognized and to be in the forefront, because there are a lot of Black women and men who have great, great businesses and sometimes, it’s not seen right.” 

However, Rodriguez mentioned how supportive the Black community was of one another and, in addition, how influencers continuously advertised her jewelry business, without her even knowing them. This led her to push for not only Black-owned businesses to support each other, but all races. 

Gaining support from those influential individuals was quite profitable for Rodriguez, as she uses platforms such as Instagram (@nogamajewelry), Pinterest and Facebook for marketing purposes. In fact, by just visiting the NOGAMA Fine Jewelry Instagram page, potential customers are able to view what is available for purchase, directly from the app itself. 

NOGAMA Fine Jewelry specializes in high-end, valuable pieces. All rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc., are designed with real diamonds, gold and jewels, hence why the prices tend to be on the more expensive side. Nonetheless, Rodriguez’ clientele ranges from women ages 18 to 50 and up, despite the cost. 

“When you look at jewelry versus purses or versus shoes, you’re not going to get the same return. A piece of jewelry will always maintain its value,” Rodriguez said.

She explained this is because jewelry can appreciate in value as a result of diamonds and gold increasing in value, whereas after wearing a purse or shoes a few times, an individual typically cannot sell it back for the amount they bought it. 

“It’s actually a great investment when you look at it overall compared to other things, so I do believe everyone should own a little bling in their lives,” Rodriguez said.

For those who are looking to find that “bling, bling” in their lives, currently bold statement pieces are all the rage, and NOGAMA Fine Jewelry features and sells an abundance of them. Those pieces include the Diamond Safety Pin necklace, the NOGAMA Diamond Handcuff necklace and the My Story "Hot Mama" pendant necklace

Furthermore, the pandemic brought a lot of babies, which means that there are a lot of new mothers, too. Rodriguez wanted to, therefore, create jewelry for the everyday woman; this concept included pieces that could be layered and worn on a day-to-day basis, while embodying essence and substance. A piece like the jewelry described is one Rodriguez herself sampled that displays the names of her three sons elegantly. 

“You could wear it every single day and people are always kind of fascinated to kind of be like, ‘Oh what is that, it’s really cute?,” Rodriguez said. 

Though, there are also different collections that don’t conform to the diamond and gold jewelry genre, such as a collection Rodriguez sells called “CXC.” CXC integrates a leather aspect to necklaces, rings and earrings. Rodriguez loves how the collection is just a little bit different, as it makes for the perfect bold, statement piece to tie together a look. The collection’s creative director, Concha Díaz del Río, hones in on “clean lines, attention to details and proportions,” according to the selection’s description. Other unique product collections include Jane Kaye, who is inspired by antique jewelry and Emily Faith, who values “glamour and elegance.” 

NOGAMA Fine Jewelry has it all. NOGAMA can be a one-stop shop for someone like Rodriguez’s 10-year-old niece who received a diamond piece for her birthday, to signify turning 10 and the coming of age, or for someone who may have previously bought items from NOGAMA and is now looking for the perfect engagement ring. Because Uwera Rodriguez values artistry, authenticity and devotion, her pieces epitomize these morals too. 

@emmadollenmayer 

ed569918@ohio.edu