Photo provided via Ohio University's website.

Professor Spotlight Q&A: How Charles Linscott is spending his summer

During the school year, professors are busy creating lesson plans, grading papers and advising students. But when the school year isn't in session, one may wonder how professors spend their free time. 

The Post sat down with Charles Linscott, assistant professor of instruction and associate director of undergraduate studies in the J. Warren McClure School of Emerging Communication Technologies and head of audio at the GRID Lab, in an email interview about how he spends his summer. 

The Post: How are you spending your summer? What activities are you doing?

Linscott: Ideally, I spend as much time with my family as I can, and we’ve found some time to take trips to beaches that we love in Florida and North Carolina. Honestly, I’m working a lot. We had BSO in June. We have two new VR-related degrees in the McClure School, the GRID Lab has major grant projects, and McClure is also heavily involved in the esports facility. There’s lots to do.

TP:  What are the two new VR related degrees you mentioned?

Linscott: We have one new major that is enrolling students now; it’s the ECT (Emerging Communications Technologies) Track in the ITS (Information and Telecommunication Systems) major (major code BC5383). It combines the network and business savvy of ITS with the cutting-edge content creation (VR/games) of the GRID Lab. The second major is a full VR and Game Design major that has been approved by the state and should start in Fall 2022.

TP: What are some of the grant projects the GRID Lab is working on right now?

Linscott: The GRID Lab is working on major grant projects dealing with law enforcement training and the training of healthcare professionals in the care of diverse populations. Essentially, we work with subject matter experts to create highly effective VR simulations that train professionals in best practices.

TP: What is one thing you enjoy doing over the summer that you usually don’t have as much time for during the school year?

Linscott: Go to the beach! My wife and I are both from Florida, and we had never really lived away from the ocean until moving to Athens. I really miss the ocean and want to catch as many waves as possible. The Hocking River doesn’t have very good waves, and Dow Lake doesn’t break well either, unfortunately.

TP: What are you looking forward to most about returning in the fall this upcoming school year?

Linscott: I’m really jazzed to be face-to-face in the classroom and in the GRID Lab working with students again. Some disciplines really lend themselves to online education, but VR is better in-person. And regardless of subject matter, I just absolutely love classroom interaction. This is going to be a great year at OHIO. I'm not eager for the summer to end, but it’s going to be a blast to be back on campus with everybody. New esports facility opens in October!

@colant_juliana  

jc079419@ohio.edu