Taco Bell’s new concept will be an innovative drive-thru experience. (Photo provided via @foodbeast on Twitter)

Taco Bell Defy revolutionizes fast-food

We all know Taco Bell as our usual late night pick-me-up spot. However, the restaurant is on its way to becoming one of the most technically savvy drive-thrus out there.

Fast food restaurants are always looking for new and creative ways to fulfill the needs of their customers, and Taco Bell is no different. In March 2021, the chain announced that it was expanding its “Go Mobile” restaurant model and implementing drive-thru cantinas into locations. If that wasn’t already above and beyond, their newest design will be sure to shock customers. 

On Aug. 12, the franchise announced on social media its new restaurant design and outline. Partnering with Dubbed as Taco Bell Defy, this innovative outline is set to open in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota by summer 2022 and is sure to wow customers. 

This 3,000 square-foot, two-story model, with a vertical design and second-story kitchen, will not be like any ordinary location. 

There are many aspects that will make this new Taco Bell location stand out. Instead of having one or two traditional drive-thru lanes, Defy will have four lanes for customer use. Three of these will be designated for mobile or delivery pickups, and one traditional lane for customers to order at location. This aspect is meant to ease the traffic flow of the drive-thru and provide a quick and easy experience. 

Customers who ordered online through the Taco Bell app or other third-party services will scan a QR code confirming their order at one of the screens in the drive-thru. From there, the food is then delivered to the customer by a food lift system. This is connected from the second floor kitchen and delivered without any human contact. 

Although an employee is not physically handing us our food, that doesn’t mean there isn’t any human interaction. Customers will still be able to speak to staff members through a two-way audio and video system to ensure that their orders went smoothly. 

As of now, there are 13 Go Mobile restaurants already built and another 85 Taco Bell Defy locations planned for across the country. The Go Mobile design was actually implemented earlier than expected in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic with the help of franchisee partners such as Border Foods

“In 2020, we introduced the Go Mobile concept much earlier than anticipated with the help of quick collaboration with franchisees just like Border Foods,” said President and Global COO of Taco Bell Mike Grams. "Partnering with our franchisees to test new concepts is a huge unlock of learning for us. What we learn from the test of this new Defy concept may help shape future Taco Bell restaurants."

Despite launching during a pandemic, the original model’s purpose was to make drive-thrus quicker and more efficient. Being the first of its kind, Taco Bell Defy is on the verge of leading revolutionary fast food for years to come. 

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu