7 tricks to organize your room

Living in a small space? So little space you don’t know what to do with your sparse items?

Have so much junk you don’t know what to do with it? 

This is a common conundrum with campus housing. There is rarely enough space to actually store all your items. The simplest solution is to throw stuff out, but sometimes that isn’t enough. Having some helpful contraptions can be beneficial and a good investment. 

Maximize the amount of things you can store underneath your bed with a storage drawer. Hang your items on your door with an attachable shelf. Find new ways to hang your kitchen equipment with command hooks. These are only a few to name out of endless cheats. 

Here are 7 tips to better organize your apartment.

Tip 1: De-Clutter

One of the simplest methods to help with organization is to declutter your space. Take a look around and ask yourself: “do I really need this?” Easier said than done, but a few methods can be taken to make this task easier.

Question 1: How often do I use this item?

If you don’t use it, don’t keep it. Say you're a freshman: do you really need all the welcome week handouts you received? Chances are, you are not going to be using all of those tote bags, frisbees and water bottles. The best solution would be to pitch/recycle them or find someone who does need them. Although, offloading your junk to someone might tick them off.

Question 2: What is the value of this item?

If the item in question is hard to obtain or expensive to buy, the best bet is to keep it or sell it online. There's also the emotional capital of the item to think of. You're not going to throw out your departed grandmother’s knitted sweater, even if it is one of the itchiest things you’ve ever worn.

Question 3: Is it too bulky?

This is a common issue. We bring items we think we need, but they take up too much counter or cabinet space. Think of all the Keurig coffee machines, instant pots, filing cabinets and exercise equipment that always gather dust in the corner. No, you are not going to use those weights you bought, if you were serious about getting fit you'd go to the gym. 

Tip 2: Under-bed storage containers

Areas like under the bed provide great potential for increasing storage space, the right tool just needs to be used. Doing this can maximize the amount of items you can store. 

These under-bed storage drawers are perfect for storing clothes or shoes in your room. It's best for storing items you don’t use too often such as dress clothes. They have wheels making them easy to slide out for access. 

Under-bed Storage Drawers with Wheels ($61.99)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.19.01 AM.png

Tip 3: Command hooks

Command Hooks are a humble and effective way of increasing the amount of storage space in your room. They can be used as makeshift coat racks, a place to hang your kitchen pots and pans or two combined with a pipe or dow rod can be used to make a towel rack.

Don’t go crazy with these things however, the amount of weight they can hold is minimal. The manufacturer recommends no more than 16 pounds. Adding too many of them also makes your place look tacky, so don’t overdo it. 

Command Hooks 7 Count ($9.97)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.20.44 AM.png

Tip 4: Storage ottoman

Want a chest to store things in that also doubles as a seat? A storage Ottoman will be your best bet. Plush and cozy, these items make a great addition to your room and are much more sightly to look at than plastic storage containers. In recent years, these things have become almost standard in any dorm room or apartment.

When buying a storage ottoman, it’s best to get one with interior shelving. Heavier items such as bedding can go on the bottom, and lighter items can be put on the pull out trays up-top. You might consider using one of the trays to hold a coffee or tea set. 

Ottoman Bench ($39.99)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.22.38 AM.png

Tip 5: Drawer dividers

Drawers can have a lot more uses with these handy devices. Being able to segment a drawer into multiple sections makes organizing and storage more nuanced. It also opens up more usage potential for dressers. Unused drawers can now be retrofitted to hold kitchen utensils or electronics. 

The dividers pictured here are bamboo, but make sure to get dividers that match whatever your drawer is made of. They come in various types of materials such as steel and plastic. 

Bamboo Drawer Divider ($14.99)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.23.43 AM.png

Tip 6: Pantry door organizer

A pantry door organizer is normally intended for the use of storing dry goods and spices for your kitchen, but it’s perfectly acceptable to use for other items as well. If you’re living somewhere with multiple rooms, try to match its usage to that room. In a bathroom, use it to store your toiletries, in a laundry room use it for your detergent and fabric softeners.

In a dorm room it’s probably best to use this for items you need to go through often. It might make great storage for media. Stack your movies and video games on it for easy selection. Books would be another great option for storage. It might also be a great place to store school supplies you need to stock up on before going out in the morning.

Wall and Door Rack ($39.99)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.24.54 AM.png

Tip 7: Chair caddies

An armchair caddy is a nifty item to have for keeping all your electronics in one place. This item drapes over the side of your couch or recliner and has pockets to fit all your electronic items inside. It’s a good place to put stuff when getting back from classes and emptying your pockets before relaxing.

Obviously it also helps to keep remote controls and video game controllers from getting lost. If you don’t have a couch or armchair, consider hanging it off the back of a chair. Get creative with the places you can drape it. 

Armchair Caddy (10.99)

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 12.26.20 AM.png

@JordanE42800656 

je563817@ohio.edu