Ohio University field hockey players fight against Western Michigan University for the ball during the home game on Friday, March 26, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Field Hockey: Ohio begins conference play with a road trip to Kent State

Ohio is back on the road again on Friday for a match against Mid-American Conference rival Kent State. This match marks both Kent State’s and Ohio’s first conference match of the season, as the teams will fight to start their conference record off strong.

Here is the information for the match:

Ohio’s current record: 2-5, 0-0 MAC

Opponent: Kent State (4-2, 0-0 MAC)

Match Location: Murphy-Mellis Field

Match Date: Sept. 17 at 3 p.m.

What’s happened so far:

Ohio is fresh off a 7-3 win this past Saturday against Saint Louis. The win was a much-needed victory for Ohio, as it has struggled so far this season. Its record stands at 2-5. However, the Bobcats will look to turn their luck around and continue their season on a win streak.

Match Information:

Aside from continuing an upward trend for Ohio’s overall record, a win here would be a steppingstone to obtain a top seed in the MAC tournament because it would be an immediate win for its conference record. 

It is still early in both teams’ seasons, but the Golden Flashes have started with a winning record of 4-2. The team also has a winning record of 2-1 at home and is coming off of an intense 4-3 double overtime victory against No. 25 Maine.

Ohio has not defeated Kent State since 2013 in a double overtime match with a score of 3-2. However, the Bobcats have kept matches close over the years, and they should be in no way ruled out of this one.

A big, bright spot of the Bobcat offense has been midfielder Jillian Shive. Shive recorded three goals and an assist in Saturday’s match against Saint Louis, making the first hat trick of her four-season career at Ohio. She was named MAC Offensive Player of the Week after this impressive performance. Her teammate, midfielder Katelyn Whittle, also scored a hat trick on Saturday. Both players coming off of career matches bodes well for the Bobcat offense, and they should both be expected to pose a threat this Friday.

The match against Kent State is Ohio’s first of seven conference matchups this season. The outcome of this match will become a tone-setter for the upcoming weeks.

@AlexImwalle

ai687120@ohio.edu