Ohio defender Paige Knorr kicks the ball during the Ohio versus Northern Kentucky match at Chessa Field on Thursday, Sep. 9, 2021. Ohio lost 1-0.

Soccer: Ohio travels to take on Western Carolina on Sunday

After a solid win on the road against Cleveland State to snap a two-match losing streak, Ohio travels to North Carolina to face off against Western Carolina in what should be a highly competitive matchup. 

This matchup will be the first time these two programs have faced off against each other. Both squads play at a fast pace that could give either defense a lot of trouble. 

The Bobcats enter this matchup at 4-2 while the Catamounts are 4-3-1 on the season so far. The Bobcats are 2-1 on the road this season, and the Catamounts are 1-2-1 at home. Ohio and Western Carolina score at a similar rate with both squads having eight goals each on the year. 

It is Ohio’s defense that should prove to be the deciding factor for the Bobcats in this matchup. Western Carolina has allowed 12 goals this year, while Ohio has allowed only five. The Bobcats have proved to be a tough team to deal with when their defense plays at a high level. Teams have struggled putting up quality shots on goal this season against Ohio’s suffocating defense. The Catamounts will have to be on point offensively if they want to get anything going against a stingy Bobcats defense.

Ohio and Western Carolina are coming into this match hot, leaving it to be quite the challenge for either side.

@nicholaswhiite

nw163519@ohio.edu