Members of the Student Senate listen to theater students at Ohio University speak out against the poor conditions of Kantner Hall at the Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body adds positions, mandatory Greek Life sexual assault training discussed

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday evening in its first meeting of the Fall Semester to add positions to the body and discuss sexual assault education training for Greek Life members. 

To start the meeting, Senate passed several resolutions, including one appointing a Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine senator to Senate. A resolution appointing an LGBTQA+ Affairs senator was also passed. 

Later in the meeting, Senate President Becky “Eliza” Ivan gave a presidential report in which she mentioned the planned creation of mandatory sexual assault education training for all Greek Life members on OU’s campus. Ivan said she is working with Maggie Old, president of the Women’s Panhellenic Association at OU, on the training program. 

Following Ivan’s report, Senate Vice President Elaina Tartal reminded the body to wear masks and get vaccinated. She also suggested senators reach out to clubs and organizations they’re involved in to join positions within Senate. 

Simar Kalkat, treasurer of Senate, gave updated numbers on Senate’s budget. The body’s total was $67,960.68, and the Senate Appropriations Commission’s total was $371,489.

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu