5 easy hairstyles for dirty and oily hair

We all have those days where washing your hair just isn’t a priority. Plus, washing your hair every day can actually be damaging to the natural oils of your luscious locks. However, dirty and oily hair isn’t something to be afraid of. Although there are a lot of dry shampoos on the market, why not embrace the oil? There are so many ways to style second, third or even fourth-day hair, while still looking put together. Here is a week’s worth of hairdos for the days in between your washes and different products to keep your roots looking fresh. 

Half-up half-down bun

Many might think that updos are the only option for dirty hair. However, you can still show off the natural texture of your hair on the bottom, while also embracing the oil on top. To start, use dry shampoo, like this one by Kristen Ess-- it comes in a darker spray, too, for the brunettes out there. Spray this product evenly throughout the roots, making sure to work it into your hair for the oil to absorb. 

Then, section off the crown part of your hair. To do this, place two fingers on each temple and trace them upwards towards your hairline, gathering hair until you reach the top of your head. Use a clear elastic to secure this section of hair into a ponytail. Next, begin wrapping the small ponytail around itself to form a bun. You can make it as tight or as loose as you want. You can use a few bobby pins to make sure it’s in place. Grab some texturizing spray and give the bottom section of your hair an even spray to zhuzh it up. And there you have it, a cute boho hairstyle that only takes a few minutes.

Second-day curls

Curling your hair for a special event can be extremely time-consuming, no matter what method you use. Having to wash your hard work away the next day is heart-wrenching. You can preserve your curls for a few days without having to wash and redo the whole thing. First off, try not to sleep on your curls. You can sleep with a hair wrap on or simply tie it into a loose bun. Using a silk scrunchie is recommended because you won’t wake up with an indent in your hair.

Next, grab your hair oil of choice and run it through the ends. Argan and Moroccan oil work great but aren’t your only options. This will keep your hair looking silky smooth and give it a nice scent, too. If you want, you can use a volumizing spray to fluff up the top section of your hair to keep it from falling flat throughout the day. Last but not least, grab your favorite dry shampoo to absorb any oil and give your hair some extra volume. So, don’t waste your precious curls, savor them for as long as you can.

Slicked-back bun

The off-duty model look is very trendy right now and legitimately takes two to five minutes. This hairstyle works the best when your hair is super oily, so embrace those natural oils and throw your dry shampoo to the side. Make sure to brush your hair out first and get rid of all of the knots and tangles. Then, begin to slick it back with your hands and/or your hairbrush and gather the rest of your hair into one. This is where the oiliness of your hair comes in handy.

You can place your bun however low or high on your head that you want. When everything is in place, secure it first into a ponytail and then wrap it into a bun for extra hold. You can also use any type of hairspray or pomade to keep your baby hairs and frizz at bay. Even though your hair is secretly super dirty, you’ve managed to make yourself look professional and trendy all at once. Chunky gold hoops pair wonderfully with this hairstyle and add a little something to your look. 

Slicked-back ponytail

This do is similar to the slicked-back bun, but can be a little more playful if you want. For this specific look, pull your hair back into a ponytail placed a little higher than the middle of the back of your head. You can leave out two pieces in the front if desired, but make sure to do that before securing your hair into place.

Use any hairspray on the top of your head, give it a spritz, and take out your ponytail. Now, use your hairbrush to brush back all of your hair into the same ponytail it was in before, making sure there aren’t a lot of bumps or kinks. After securing it into place, you can take a small piece of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around whatever type of hair tie you used. Secure it in place with a bobby pin. This helps the hairstyle to look cleaner. As an added step, you can straighten, wave or curl your ponytail, or spray some texture spray in to embrace your natural hair. 

Fishtail ponytail

For this style, you’re going to need that gorgeous dirty and oily hair-- again. Pull your hair back into a tight ponytail, as high or as low as you want. Grab a handful of clear elastics and tie them about two inches apart, one at a time. Make a gap in the newly tied-off section of hair and flip over the remaining hair in the ponytail through the gap to create the fishtail. Continue down the ponytail until you reach the end. It’s like a mix of the bubble braid and classic fishtail. Finish off with some hairspray if necessary to combat those flyaways throughout the day. 

Dirty and oily hair is never a bad thing. You can use the natural oils of your hair to your advantage and spice up your normal hairstyles in just a few steps. Give your hair a break from time to time and embrace your natural locks. This will help you to build the strength of your hair with time, giving you healthier and softer hair. 

@gracebrezine

gb194519@ohio.edu