Athens Highschool quarterback Landon Wheatly (2) runs the ball for a touchdown while Marcus Stevers, 33, blocks a Meigs defender during the first half of the Bulldog victory over Meigs at Joe Borrow Field in Athens, Ohio on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021. (Jesse Jarrold-Grapes | For The Post)

Athens Football: Athens looks for second straight win in matchup against Wellston on Friday

Athens’ strong offense and key forced turnovers led it to a 49–35 win last week against Meigs. The Bulldogs moved to 2–5 on the season with two of their three remaining games being on the road.

On Friday, Athens will travel for a key matchup against Wellston. The game provides an opportunity for Athens to make some noise and potentially move up in the standings in the Tri-Valley Conference-Ohio.

This is an important game for Athens as it looks to finish the regular season strong. It is key for the Bulldogs to keep playing complementary football with their offense passing the ball down the field and their defense forcing key turnovers.

Game Information

Opponent: Wellston

Venue: C. H. Jones Field

Kickoff: 7 p.m.

News and Notes:

- Athens last played Wellston on Oct. 18, 2019 and won 34–18.

- Athens is currently fourth in the TVC-Ohio, and Wellston sits a spot above it in third.

- Junior quarterback Landon Wheatley had a strong performance last week. He threw for 197 yards and two touchdowns while adding an additional 112 yards and one rushing touchdown.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu