The Smiling Skull Saloon on W. Union St. in Athens, Ohio.

Jeffrey Dallet to perform at Smiling Skull

Folk-rock artist Jeffrey Dallet is performing at the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St., this Friday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m. Originally from Denver, Colorado, Dallet is traveling across the country on a solo tour to promote his latest album, Acid Tongue. He will also be performing covers and several tracks from his other EPs and albums.

Smiling Skull Saloon owner, Adrienne Whitney, was hopeful that Dallet’s show would bring a crowd and provided information about the venue and price of admission.

“Cover is $4 at the door, and we hope to have a full house,” Whitney said in an email.

Kathleen Shuttleworth, a senior studying graphic design, has seen a few shows at Smiling Skull Saloon and has had good experiences at the venue. A fan of folk-rock music, she has many thoughts on the upcoming performance. 

“When I go to shows I usually see a lot of familiar faces,” Shuttleworth said in a message. “I love the merging of student life with that of the local community.”

She also said that although she was unfamiliar with Dallet and his band, she would be willing to see them due to her appreciation for folk music. 

“I’m not (familiar with Jeffrey Dallet and his band), but I’ll definitely look them up.” Shuttleworth said in a message. “I love folk-rock music. It’s hard to live in southeast Ohio and not have an appreciation for folk music.”

The artist himself, Jeffrey Dallet has expectations for Friday and is excited to share his work. He is looking forward to sharing his upcoming setlist and continuing his journey across the country on tour.

“Well, the band is, we call it like a folk and roll band – it's like folk rock.” Dallet said. “Lyrical folk based and is infused with rock and roll, so that's how it is when we play it (with) the band. I'll be playing by myself when I'm at Smiling Skull. We have music that goes from love songs to topical kinds of things that are happening in the world.”

Dallet has been performing for a number of years and said there are reasons behind solo touring. 

“I've been doing it (performing) for about 11 years now,” Dallet said. “I started out just by myself, as kind of a folk singer-songwriter and then eventually we got a band and everything. Now we're playing (as) this band but I'm touring solo because it's less expensive and it's more financially viable that way.”

As for his performance, Dallet is enjoying preparing his setlist for his performance on Friday and encourages people to stream his latest album, Acid Tongue

“We released a new album, it's called Acid Tongue,” Dallet said. “It was released on Aug. 6 … and it's available on all your streaming platforms and we also have physical copies … I'll be selling those at the show. That's more of the newer stuff that we've been working on. There's nine songs on this album. They range anywhere from love songs to more political commentary, current events kind of things.”

Anyone looking to see a show or go out this upcoming weekend, can visit the Smiling Skull Saloon to watch Jeffrey Dallet perform.  

@trerspencer1

ts582119@ohio.edu