6 fall movies to cozy up with

It’s that time of year where the temperature starts to drop, the sun goes down earlier and the leaves start to change color. As the fall season begins, now is the perfect time to cozy up with a warm blanket and spend these chilly nights watching some of the best fall movies. Whether it’s a murder mystery or a romantic comedy, some of the best movies take place in the autumn.  They provide an abundance of comfort and get us thrilled for the chilly season to come.  As many of us get excited for the fall season, here are six sensational films to get you into the fall spirit: 

Dead Poets Society

The film starts off in the fall of 1959 at an all-male boarding school in Vermont. John Keating (Robin Williams), an English teacher, teaches some of the young men how to break out of their shells and encourages them to “seize the day.” Watching Robin Williams in this classic film feels nostalgic and extraordinarily comforting. It’s a story that encourages youthfulness and courage, resembling an inspiring coming-of-age drama that might cause some tears at the end. But nonetheless, it is a must watch for everyone, especially during the chillier seasons. 

When Harry Met Sally

There’s nothing like getting into the fall spirit like watching the two main characters walk through Central Park when the leaves have turned to warm colors. While the film takes place over several seasons, it mainly takes place in the fall. As one of the best romantic comedies out there, it never fails to provide warmth and comfort for those excited about the fall season. With astonishing chemistry from iconic actors Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, it’s an unforgettable film that everyone must watch at least once. 

Clue

Autumn is the perfect season for murder mysteries, especially this comedic “whodunit.” The film is a cult classic with an ensemble of amazing actors such as Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd and Madeline Kahn. 

It’s based off of the classic board game with the same name, making the film unlike any other film you’ve seen.  This chaotic classic will keep you guessing until the very end and in return viewers are given an ending you never saw coming. It’s extremely rewatchable, and it’s definitely a film that should be rewatched every fall season. 

Good Will Hunting

Yet another classic film starring the late Robin Williams, this moving drama has a heart-rending storyline made to inspire audiences. The film follows Will Hunting (Matt Damon), a janitor who’s secretly a genius but is unable to obtain the education he deserves.  

His journey through hardship and sacrifice is truly inspiring for anybody watching. While it is somewhat heartbreaking at times, there are several moments where the film is uplifting and comical. It’s also important to mention the outstanding acting performances between Damon and Williams. 

The unbelievable chemistry between the characters makes the film even more compelling.  The film is set in Boston during the fall, thus providing a comforting autumn ambience while watching.

Knives Out

Knives Out is another tremendous murder mystery perfect for watching during the fall season, but this one adds a modern twist to the genre. Not only is the entire premise of the film associated with fall, other elements like costume and set design play a big role as to how this film becomes a fall must-watch. 

Nothing is cozier than Chris Evans wearing some cozy knitted sweaters. The set design is constantly portrayed as mysterious and enthralling, which adds to the chilly autumn feeling. Of course, no murder mystery would be set without an amazing star-studded cast including Jamie Lee Curtis, Chris Evans and Daniel Craig. 

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Director Wes Anderson develops a desirably unique film with a beautiful fall color palette of red, orange and yellow to make a visually stunning fall watch. Based on Roald Dahl’s book, this adventurous animated film is incredibly hilarious with its dry and witty sense of  humor. It has a compelling storyline involving togetherness, perseverance and overcoming obstacles with your family and friends. Fantastic Mr. Fox contains all the elements of a comforting, rewatchable film.

loganhumphrey_

lh129720@ohio.edu