(Photo provided via @WeFruity on Twitter)

Best Halloween movies to watch on Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+

During the Halloween season, it is a must to sit down and watch a few Halloween movies with your friends and family. Whether you are watching just for the fun of it or genuinely want to discover new, great horror movies, these will surely appease your expectations. 

Every person loves a good scary film, even if you aren’t a personal fan. In this list, there are all different types of movies that appeal to all different types of Halloween movie watchers. Whether you prefer gore or a family-fun-inspired flick, the diverse movies listed below will satisfy any preference. 

Grab popcorn and your choice of drink, and sit down and watch all of the fantastic movies before Halloween is over! Here’s five of the best spooky movies from each streaming platform (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max and Disney+):

Netflix

The Stepfather (PG-13)

Starring Penn Badgley from Gossip Girl and You, this suspenseful movie shows Michael (Badgley) coming home from military school to a new man in the house. His mother is completely infatuated with him, but Michael sees there’s something more sinister to her new fiancé. 

Hush (R)

Maddie is a deaf writer trying to find some peace inside of her home, out in the middle of the woods. Everything seems to be fine until a masked man appears at her window, trying to kill her. 

The Strangers (R)

In this 2008 slasher film, a couple retreats to a vacation home to rekindle and relax. Unbeknownst to them, three masked strangers intrude with murderous intent. This couple must try to survive to the end of the night.

The Conjuring (R)

Based on a true story, the Perron family moves to an old house on Rhode Island, where a sinister presence begins to prey on them. A married couple named Ed and Lorraine Warren are paranormal investigators who reveal the horrifying past of the house and try to fight the malevolent entity before it kills everyone in the house.

Sinister (R)

This deeply disturbing movie tells the story of a true crime writer who hasn’t written a best-seller in a decade. After finding a film of a family being murdered, the writer moves his family into the victims’ home, trying to discover more about the video, unknowingly unlocking something completely evil and sinister inside of the house. 

Hulu

My Friend Dahmer (R)

This background story of the notorious serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer shows an interesting insider view of how Dahmer acted during his high school days and what made him become the killer he was.

Crawl (R)

A daughter drives home to see her father when a Category 5 hurricane hits Florida, trapping her and her father inside of his house while alligators become the threat between life and death.

Parasite (R)

Would you do anything to provide for your family? In this classic Korean movie that swept over America after its release, a lower-class family takes advantage of a wealthy family, but at what cost when it turns from something innocent to something so deadly?

Lights Out (PG-13)

If you hate the dark, you will absolutely hate it even more after this scary film. In this horror film, a sister and her younger brother are being haunted by something evil that only shows up in the dark.

Children of the Corn (R)

Here’s a gory, classic horror film to watch this season: a couple are driving through the Midwest and come upon a dead body of a boy, leading them to a town vacant of children with murderous intent.

HBO MAX

Orphan (R)

A peaceful family loses their young child in a freak accident and decides it’s time for them to adopt a young girl into their family to fill up the hole their child left. However, troubling events seem to suddenly occur after they adopt this seemingly innocent girl.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (R)

Nancy and her friend keep having nightmares of a terrifyingly real man who has knives for fingers and a burnt face. After a freak accident happens to her friend, she can’t stop this suspicious feeling that the man is behind the death of her friend and begins to investigate what had happened.

Ouija: Origin of Evil (PG-13)

A family in 1967 runs a fake séance to help clients get over the deaths of their loved ones. After purchasing a ouija board to heighten up their act, something evil is released into the household and begins preying on the youngest daughter.

The Shining (R)

In this classic yet sadistic film, a husband takes his wife and son to a hotel for the winter so he can finally have some peace and quiet to write his upcoming book. During this time, he works himself into possession, and all he begins to think about is how he can murder his wife and son. 

It (R)

Every 27 years, a malevolent entity kidnaps kids in a small town, never to be seen again. Seven outcasts find themselves mixed up with this evil when one of the characters loses his younger brother suddenly, trying to discover what happened to him and where he could be.

Disney +

The Haunted Mansion (PG)

A father addicted to his work in real estate decides to take his family on vacation to make up for all the time lost, but when they stop by a mansion he was told to sell, they get roped into events that should have never happened to them.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG)

In the spooky town of Halloween, Jack the Skeleton finds himself entranced by all things Christmas. Determined to find out what it is about, he unknowingly creates his own downfall.

Twitches (PG)

Two girls meet on their 21st birthday, finding out they are not only twins and have magic powers but also that they need to save the kingdom where they are from.

Hocus Pocus (PG)

Max, a young teenager, has just moved to Salem with his family. After trying to impress the girl he likes, he accidentally releases three witches from a centuries-old curse, creating trouble in their town when the witches try to take the souls of children.

Halloweentown (PG)

Kids growing up in the human world go back to Halloweentown, discovering that they are all witches and have another world to discover. It’s up to the Cromwell magic to save the gray fate of the town.

@br00keshelley 

bs965720@ohio.edu