Fresh Finds: Ritt Momney tells you to get a 'Headstart'; Ashnikko releases a Halloween song

We’ve finally reached the point in the semester where there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. With the home stretch to Thanksgiving break beginning and the motivation to go to class waning, we could all use some new music to help power through the week. Luckily, we found some tunes to keep you energized during these long days and nights. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are seven new songs to get you through the week:

“HEADSTART” by Ritt Momney

Ritt Momney’s “HEADSTART” is the seventh song on his sophomore album Sunny Boy, which mixes wobbly synths and lush piano chords to inspire listeners to learn things from themselves. In an interview with Broadway World, Momney said, “I hope this inspires you to learn from your younger self. Life isn’t necessarily about picking up new things.”

HEADSTART is a love-gone-wrong kind of song. Going back to the idea of learning things from life experiences, lyrics like “but times change like a compass” are a metaphor to move on. After all, there are better things to get a “headstart” on. 

“Halloweenie IV: Innards” by Ashnikko

Ashnikko has a tradition to release a Halloween record every year, and it's time for her return with her fourth Halloweenie single installment. With perfect timing for Halloween weekend, this keeps the theme of spooky-type beats with melodies similar to her other big hits, such as “Daisy” and “Party.”  In addition, the unique interpolation of the classic song “In The Hall of The Mountain King” makes a haunting fourth installment in her Halloweenie series.

“Homo Sapien” by Parquet Courts 

The Parquet Courts pride themselves in the blend of punk-friendly clatter within the indie rock scene. “Homo Sapien,” the seventh song off their new album Sympathy For Life fits their style well. The primal desire to invent and create a meaningless loop in the human race is the message Parquet Courts is trying to achieve. The second verse solidifies, “The sensual touch of glass / So smooth on the fingertips.” 

“Show You” by Kota The Friend

Kota The Friend, best known for his songs “Long Beach” and “Philly Jawn,” brings the message of letting go in his new single, “Show You.” Kota the Friend continues to rap about the message in the lyrics “We human, we live, and we learn.” These things happen, and he’s going to show you what he’s learned and to carry it all to the end.

Moth To A Flame” by Swedish House Mafia, The Weeknd

The Weeknd teams up with EDM icon Swedish House Mafia on “Moth To A Flame,” the third single off Swedish House Mafia’s studio album Paradise Again. 

The Weeknd brings back the break-up music similar to his 2018 EP My Dear Melancholy, except  this time around, he’s not getting broken up with. “Does he know you call me when he sleeps” is repeated in the chorus, signifying it’s another man who's getting heartbroken. If you enjoyed My Dear Melancholy and enjoy EDM in general, this electronic spin on the traditional Weeknd song will be a welcomed addition to your daily mix. 

“Taking Me Back” by Jack White

Jack White, yes, the one from The White Stripes, is back for his first solo single in nearly four years. “Taking Me Back” is usual from Jack; the distorted guitar riffs have become somewhat of his brand. However, if that’s not to your liking, he released the same song but “gentler.” 

Produced entirely by himself at Third Man Studios in Nashville, he brings the iconic and new “Taking Me Back” as part of the Call of Duty Vanguard soundtrack, which will be released Nov. 5.

Dealer” by Lana Del Ray, Miles Kane

This past week marked the release of Lana Del Rey’s Blue Banisters. The ninth song on the album, “Dealer,” is the only song with a feature from Miles Kane. Lana Del Ray sings from different perspectives about being unapproachable as Kane goes first with the lyrics, “Please don’t try to find me through my dealer.” Lana mentions a dealer that she “gave all (her) money to,” as a possible reference to her childhood drinking problem, which took part in her teen years. “I was a big drinker at the time. I would drink every day,” she said in an interview.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu