From the Editor’s Desk: Press play on these ‘Post’ podcasts

All of my friends and current Posties have grown to know one eye-roll-inducing fact about me: if you see me walking on campus with a pair of headphones in, good luck getting my attention.

I’ve notoriously been known to not say “hello” back to those I know on the street because, to my own fault, I usually can’t hear them. When I pop in earbuds and crank the volume up, the chatter and other various noises floating along campus fade into the background. I’m catapulted into my own world for just a moment as I’m walking between classes or in between meetings.

As a journalism major, though, I’m a bit embarrassed to say it’s almost never a podcast I’m listening to on my walks.

But podcasts are on the rise, both nationally and here at The Post, and I sense a change in my ways. I’ve begun to curate a list of podcasts I want to start listening to, and I’m making a conscious effort to listen to more than NPR’s “Up First” when I get ready in the morning. 

The Post multimedia staff is constantly evolving and expanding, too, and for quite some time now, podcasts have been a staple of the multimedia section. The podcast selection has included everything from pop culture to sports to hard news, and anyone new or old to The Post can pitch a podcast. Some new podcasts have debuted this year, and rest assured more are on their way. Just like with our print and digital reporting, we’re committed to ensuring there’s high-quality, diverse audio journalism at The Post that appeals to all of our readers.

There are two podcasts at The Post that are producing routine episodes. One is new, and one is a returning podcast.

Our veteran podcast in the mix is “Stay Tuned,” an entertainment news podcast hosted by Managing Editor Bre Offenberger and Culture Editor Riley Runnells. Each week, Offenberger and Runnells break down and discuss the entertainment news you need to know. The episodes are succinct, witty and debut every Thursday.

One of our newer podcasts is “Yes Ma’am,” which debuted Oct. 4. The podcast delves into women in the world of sports and is hosted by three of The Post’s female sportswriters: Ashley Beach, Molly Burchard and Maria Monesi. Since its first episode, “Yes Ma’am” has included discussions of the U.S. Open, all-women MLB broadcasts and Ohio University sports. The trio pours so much into their shows, and I’m so proud to see our women sportswriters claiming and owning their spot in the industry through this endeavor.

Podcasts are such a great way to learn even more about what’s happening in Athens and OU. I’m hopeful that as our podcast choices expand, more readers join us on Spotify, Spreaker and beyond in listening to our audio options. Although, just a tip: maybe turn the volume down more than I do while listening during your campus strolls. 

Abby Miller is a senior studying journalism and political science at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Abby at am166317@ohio.edu or tweet her @abblawrence.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article featured a podcast that has since been removed for copyright conflicts. The current article has been updated to reflect those changes.