Here’s the Tea: There is invisible justice for Black women

For almost three decades, Robert Sylvester Kelly, also known as the Grammy award-winner R. Kelly, abused and tormented Black girls and women. On Monday, Sept. 27, 2021, these women finally got the justice they deserve after the jury found him guilty on all nine counts of racketeering and sex trafficking. However, the idea of justice is skewed because it took decades for the legal system to hold him accountable, which is an injustice for all Black girls and women.

Kelly had a pattern where he targeted marginalized Black girls and women. When these girls and women reported these egregious acts, the justice system failed to act and suppressed these victims’ voices. Conveniently, Kelly remained out of the courts until 2008 because he paid these victims in exchange for their silence and paid authorities to look the other way. Kelly got away with this for so long because of the group he was targeting.

Black women have the lowest level of significance in society. The Black community prioritizes issues of race, having Black women lead the fight without recognizing their unique oppression. Social movements lump Black men and women together because of the belief they have the same experiences under the premise of racial inequality. However, Black women have complex and exacerbated experiences because of racism and sexism that further marginalize them.

Society sees Black girls as “grown,” a stereotype robbing them of their innocence. Because of this, Black girls are seen as “fast,” meaning they are promiscuous and overly sexual beings. These assumptions cause Black girls to grow up with lower self-esteem and cause them to be self-conscious. Adultification denies Black girls their true childhood as authority figures and peers vilify them. These harmful stereotypes play into the lack of protection Black girls have when it comes to predators such as Kelly. 

These pejorative stereotypes for Black girls bleed into adulthood as Black women are labeled as “angry,” “overly aggressive” and “loud.” Black women are also up against stereotypes that society deems as favorable but are actually dangerous, such as “strong,” “fearless” and “resilient.” These microaggressive descriptions are insensitive and demeaning. The archaic yet overused phrase “angry Black woman” causes Black women to suppress their emotions, so they can be perceived as non-threatening. 

Labeling Black women as “strong” has the same effect; these women are forced to suppress their emotions. Black women are not allowed to have a bad day, and when they do, they are not offered help. The resilience of Black women means that society has come to accept the actions of Kelly, hence the reason it took the justice system decades to prosecute him. 

While Kelly’s guilty verdict is a win for the #MeToo movement, it has brought to light the institutionalized problem society has with Black women. The dehumanizing and demeaning tropes of Black women continue to leave them vulnerable. These stereotypes are embedded into society as truths, allowing Kelly and other perpetrators to victimize Black women openly. Society must reconcile these systematic stereotypes to ensure Black women get justice — and get justice sooner.

Iana Fields is a senior studying English creative writing at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Iana? Tweet her @FieldsIana.