Odd Morris has released its debut EP Cityscape the Ballet after rising to fame in the Dublin music scene. (Photo provided by @oddmorrisband via Twitter). 

Odd Morris brings back punk with debut EP ‘Cityscape the Ballet’

In a crowd of thousands listening to British punk-influenced gigs, such as The Stone Roses or Murder Capital, stood the four lads of Odd Morris. Vocalist Daragh Griffin, lead guitarist Kris Hassett, bassist Ciarán McCarthy and drummer Sam Martin, were just a group of schoolboys in Dublin, Ireland with the urge to make music. Odd Morris has released its debut EP Cityscape the Ballet after rising to fame in the Dublin music scene. 

“Rose Like Smoke” is the first track on the record. This is the most modern composition on the album. The sound of this sound is heavily influenced by Murder Capital, a band idolized by these Dubliners. The guitar sound makes a sort of melancholy contrast to the lyrics. 

Tune number two, “The One Was Enough,” is about the vulnerability of being alone. One may mistake the rhythmic guitar tune as an intro for an upbeat song. Once Griffin’s voice comes in singing from a place of raw emotion, the instruments quickly become a disguise for the lyrics. It’s a haunting depiction of being estranged from normality. 

“You Tried” is a very clear description of self-reflection and understanding. Griffin shows off his vocal range with this very anticlimactic instrumental. The raw post-punk influences play a heavy role in the grunge lyrics about trying to make a relationship with yourself or other people work and failing. 

The song entitled “Silhouette” was written by lead singer, Daragh Griffin. The lyrics explain the stereotypes of growing into manhood. This song began as a therapeutic journal entry. In an interview with Hot Press Magazine Griffin said, “I had bottled things up, so I just let my subconscious do the talking.” The soothing song has a gradually building drum beat. As the song goes on the instruments layer slowly over one another. 

The EP ends with the track titled “Cityscape the Ballet.” A perfect farewell letter to close the start of what may be a huge career for the four boys of Odd Morris. It touches on all the topics previously covered. Vulnerability, fitting in, growing up with a certain expectation and internal struggles. 

Rating: 3/5

@shortstuffsoph 

sa488920@ohio.edu