Ohio University field hockey players fight against Western Michigan University for the ball during the home game on Friday, March 26, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Field Hockey: Ohio drops close 2-1 match to Appalachian State on the road

After a convincing 3-0 win the previous week against Ball State, Ohio traveled to Adcock Field in Boone, North Carolina, for a matchup with Appalachian State. 

Ohio was looking to get its first winning streak of the season and its second victory against a Mid-American Conference opponent. The Bobcats also had a boost going into Friday’s match with Jillian Shive winning Co-Offensive Player of the Week, her second of the season. 

The first half was tight with the Mountaineers dominating early on, but the Bobcats held their own on the defensive end and allowed no goals. Goalkeeper Nele Graner had four saves alone heading into halftime. 

Ohio failed to replicate its strong defensive performance after halftime. In the opening minutes of the second half, Mountaineers midfielder Pauline Mangold broke the deadlock with the first goal of the match. Friederike Stegen then doubled Appalachian State’s lead in the 50th minute, putting Ohio down by two goals. 

Despite a goal from Noa Desmaretz to cut the deficit in half just a minute and a half later, Ohio couldn’t execute in the final minutes. After full-time in Boone, the Bobcats fell to the Mountaineers 2-1. It is Ohio’s eighth loss of the season and its second against a MAC opponent. 

Although the Bobcats could not secure the road win, there were some positives to take away. One aspect of this team that is beginning to impress is the talent surrounding Shive. Players like Katelyn Whittle, who has six goals on the season, along with Desmaretz, Bodhi Littlefield and Kaelyn Long are proving to be consistent pieces that can complement the offensive firepower Shive brings to the table. 

@DSethnaSports 

ds160620@ohio.edu