Ohio University field hockey players fight against Western Michigan University for the ball during the home game on Friday, March 26, 2021 in Athens, Ohio.

Field Hockey: Ohio prepares for critical weekend matchups against Bellarmine and Ohio State

After a hard-fought 3-2 victory in double overtime against Davidson, Ohio has an opportunity to start a winning streak. However, they will have a quick turnaround. The Bobcats will host Bellarmine and travel to Columbus for a matchup with Ohio State over the weekend. 

Here’s the information for this weekend’s matches: 

Ohio’s Current Record: 4-8 (1-2 MAC)

Opponents: 

• Bellarmine (1-9, 0-2 MAC) 
  • Ohio State (6-4) 

Match Locations: 

• Pruitt Field in Athens | Buckeye Varsity Field in Columbus

Match Dates and Times:

• Oct. 8 at 3:30 p.m. | Oct. 10 at 1 p.m.

In perfect timing, Jillian Shive is firing on all cylinders.  Against Davidson on Sunday, Shive scored two early goals and helped propel the Bobcats to their critical victory. Another bright moment for the Bobcats was creating set pieces on the offensive side of the pitch. In its last two matches, Ohio has a combined total of 16 penalty corners. 

Both of the Bobcats’ opponents for this week are coming off rough stretches. After winning its first match of the season, Bellarmine dropped its last nine matchups. The Buckeyes lost three straight matches, including a 2-1 loss in double overtime to Louisville. 

If Ohio can notch a win against Bellarmine, it would give the team a 2-2 record on the season against MAC opponents. With the conference’s annual tournament approaching in early November, coach Ali Johnstone and the Bobcats must head into these next couple of matches both physically and mentally prepared.

@DSethnaSports 

ds160620@ohio.edu