Seniors Kendall Ballad and Karynne Baker celebrate shortly before the start of their game against Ball State. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio travels to take on Central Michigan in Mid-American Conference matchup

Ohio faces another Mid-American Conference opponent in its match against Central Michigan this Friday. Going into the final weeks of the regular season, this is a pivotal match for both teams, as it is one of few remaining chances to improve their conference records.

Here is the information for the match:

Ohio’s current record: 5-9, 2-2 MAC

Opponent: Central Michigan (3-9, 1-3 MAC)

Match Location: Cristy Freese Field

Match Date: Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.

What’s happened so far: 

The match will be Ohio’s second consecutive away contest after its narrow loss to Ohio State on Sunday. Ohio currently has a record of 2-2 in the MAC heading into this match, but the team has an away record of 1-6. Its only road win this season is a 3-2 victory against Davidson in double overtime. The Bobcats need to put their poor performances on the road behind them to ensure a chance to improve their conference and overall record.

Match Details:

Ohio is 5-9 with four matches remaining in the regular season, so it must win out in order to avoid a losing record. This means that the match against Central Michigan, as well as the following three matches, will be crucial for Ohio.

Fortunately for Ohio, Central Michigan is on a two-match losing streak. Additionally, the Chippewas home match record is 1-4, so despite Ohio’s underwhelming displays during away matches, neither team will enter Friday with an upper hand at Cristy Freese Field.

This match could make or break the season for the Bobcats. Out of the four opponents they have left to face, three of them are in the MAC. A loss to Central Michigan would make for a two-match losing streak for Ohio entering its match against Miami — a team it hasn’t beaten since 2013.

With the season nearing its end, the Bobcats will need to put everything they have onto the field this Friday, as it is one of their last chances to turn the season around.

@AlexImwalle

ai687120@ohio.edu