Seniors Kendall Ballad and Karynne Baker celebrate shortly before the start of their game against Ball State. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio prepares for final regular season match against Longwood

Ohio’s regular season schedule is almost at its end. After a 3-0 thrashing by Indiana last weekend, Ohio closes out its regular season with a home match against Mid-American Conference opponent Longwood. The MAC Tournament is fast approaching, and Ohio needs a final victory if it wants to secure a spot.

Match Information and Notes

• Opponent: Longwood (9-5, 4-2 MAC)
  • Location: Pruitt Field
  • Date: Oct. 30
  • Time: 1 p.m. 
  • Longwood is currently third in the MAC standings and Ohio (6-11, 3-3 MAC) is ranked fourth. The MAC Tournament, which begins on Nov. 5, hosts just the top four teams in the conference, so Saturday’s match is a must-win for Ohio.
  • The Bobcats are 4-4 against the Lancers since 2014. The programs last played each other on April 12, where the Bobcats won 3-1. 

One key to Saturday's match is that Ohio’s defense must not crumble if it falls behind early in the match. In its match against Indiana, Ohio gave up two goals in the span of 42 seconds. The defense will play a key role in the match Saturday. Longwood is coming off a  5-1 stomping of Ball State. If Ohio wants a chance of closing the regular season out on a high note and securing a postseason appearance,  its defense must remain composed.

@DSethnaSports  

ds160620@ohio.edu