The Ohio University Student Senate holds the first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body discusses OU’s Make Respect Visible campaign

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday evening to discuss the university’s Make Respect Visible campaign. 

A presentation on the campaign was given by Megan Vogel, chief of staff for the vice president for student affairs. She was accompanied by Duane Bruce, interim assistant director of the Multicultural Center. 

The presentation consisted of the stages and the goals the university has been trying to implement throughout campus. One of the campaign’s main goals is to show OU’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. 

The campaign was created to give a sense of belonging to all, Bruce said. Over 150 students have participated in feedback sessions to help guide its focus.

Because the campaign is new and applied though Bobcat Student Orientation, or BSO,  and learning communities, there has been some difficulty reaching older students. 

In order to reach students who may not know of the campaign, OU has been trying to “splash” its message all over the Athens campus, from signs on College Green to the escalators in Baker University Center. It is also hosting events, such as “Real Talk About Big Questions.” 

The idea behind the events is to “bring the campus communities together to have conversations about relevant questions that impact our community or the world,” Bruce said. 

Following the presentation, Senate discussed the importance of having students register to vote. The body voted on a resolution to ask OU to make election day a paid university holiday, and the resolution passed. 

Simar Kalkat, treasurer of Senate, then gave the body an update on budget amounts. The Senate has a total of $68,070.57, Kalkat said, and the Senate Appropriations Commission’s budget totals $474,985.09. 

To end the meeting, Senate reviewed the anti-hazing module the state of Ohio is requiring through Collin’s Law. According to a previous Post report, all OU students, faculty and staff are required to participate in the online training.

“As advisors, we’re not allowed to let you participate in Senate unless you have done the hazing module,” Jenny Hall-Jones, Senate advisor and interim vice president for Student Affairs, said. 

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu