The Ohio University Student Senate holds the first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body discusses university Women’s Center’s ‘Love Yourself week’

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday to discuss the Women’s Center’s “Love Yourself Week,” which is taking place Nov. 1-7. 

A presentation was given by Hailey Linenkugel, a survivor-focused programming assistant at OU’s Women's Center. The main focus of the presentation was the events taking place on the Athens campus the first week of November. 

Love Yourself Week will consist of events such as an “EmpowerParty” taking place in Alden Library, room 301, along with other workshops and speakers throughout the week. 

The speakers will consist of Sahra Nguyen, founder and CEO of Nguyen Coffee Supply, a Vietnamese coffee company in the U.S., and Yvonne Kangong, founder of Breakers Health, a medical consultancy.

Most of the events will be held online and some may also require pre-registration to participate. Some days will have their own social media challenge to help encourage everyone to get involved. 

“We encourage everyone to follow and use the hashtag Ohio bobcat love on Twitter and Instagram,” Linenkugel said. “You can tag us and our co-sponsors in your post.”

Following the presentation, another presentation was given to help Senate review its rules and procedures. 

The review consisted of parliamentary procedures, voting rules and more regulations Senate is required to follow. 

Senate also addressed the annual campus climate survey, which is provided to all students and contains topics like diversity, equity and inclusion on campus. 

To finish the meeting, Senate Treasurer Simar Kalkat gave the body its current budget numbers. Senate has a current total of $66,530.57, Kalkat said, and the Senate Appropriations Commission’s budget is at a total of $394,745.91. 

@paigemafisher

pf585820@ohio.edu