Jason Sudeikis hasn’t been back to SNL since graduating from the show’s cast back in 2013 (Photo provided by @nbcsnl via Twitter). 

‘SNL’ rebounds with a committed character actor and a lovable alum

After a somewhat shaky start three weeks ago, SNL appears to be back in full force.  Quite frankly, it’s even a little better than full form.

Although most recognize that the Kim Kardashian episode was targeted to a particular demographic of reality TV junkies that can see beyond the socialite’s clunky delivery (see the skits titled “The People’s Kourt,“ “The Dream Guy” and “The Switch”), the jokes themselves weren’t all bad. “Ladies Night Song” is catchy and relatable, and it will likely become a go-to in the Ego Nwodim digital short universe. “Weekend Update” brought back Alex Moffat and his deranged movie critic character, Terry Fink, to quite a few laughs. “Lotto Drawing” is an entertaining, surrealist surprise that probably fared better live than it ever would’ve read on paper.

The biggest turnaround, however, came with Rami Malek’s episode. The actor has never come off as an exceptionally charismatic individual. Despite now holding the status of an Oscar winner, he’s been a popular object of memes for photos where he looks wildly uncomfortable in public, whether it be while signing autographs or posing with a fan. Fortunately for SNL, Malek rose to the challenge. His monologue immediately addresses the fact that he prefers to play villains and other eccentric individuals. He explains that he can sympathize with a lot of villains. Jaws was just “thirsty,” and Frankenstein was just “horny.” His soft spoken tone is simultaneously eerie and endearing. He opens the show well, and then he commits to every role.

Skit-wise, Malek’s episode featured the two best-written of the season so far: “Mattress Store” and “Angelo.” In “Mattress Store,“ Malek and fan favorite Aidy Bryant play a couple looking to buy a new mattress for their home. However, to the confusion of the salesman, their method of testing out the new beds includes acting out dramatic scenarios that might occur in their bedroom. The skit would be funny on any normal day, but Malek and Bryant’s commitment to the physicality of the roles elevates the sketch to an all-timer.

“Angelo,“ on the other hand, is amusing for its contrastingly timid physicality. Newcomer Aristotle Athari plays a musical genius of an unspecified nationality who can apparently make a song out of any word, and Malek plays a dancer … of some sort. Athari guarantees the return of the character with his measured vocal variations and stellar comedic timing. Malek should earn an Emmy for not breaking character while subtly swaying his hips to the incoherent songs. 

Additionally, “Weekend Update” was at its best that week with Bowen Yang as a Proud Gay Oompa Loompa and Chris Redd getting a rare opportunity to try out his spacey stand-up schtick. “Celeb School Game Show,“ though lacking in any verifiable sort of flow or punchline, opted for the Celebrity Jeopardy route of showing off the cast’s impressions. Chloe Fineman is the MVP for her Jennifer Coolidge imitation, with Melissa Villaseñor’s Kristen Wiig just behind, but Malek’s insider Pete Davidson impression is far more astute than expected. It goes to show that bringing on serious actors can give the show a lot more credibility if they give them solid writing. See: Adam Driver. 

Most recently, Jason Sudeikis. Sudeikis hasn’t been back to SNL since graduating from the show’s cast back in 2013. Now, hot off of his hit Apple TV show Ted Lasso, Sudeikis carries himself with the air of a favorite teacher who came out of retirement to substitute teach. He was in every single live skit of the night, including the cold opening. The Biden quandary from the Owen Wilson episode is now resolved: the current president actor, James Austin Johnson, was accompanied by both Sudeikis who played Biden back in 2013 and Alex Moffat, who was given an episode or two in the role back in March. The Moffat impression still plays a little better to the ears and eyes, but if it’s Johnson’s time in the spotlight, it is what it is. 

Sudeikis’ monologue was more nostalgic than comedic in nature, reminding audiences of the magic of the studio and his memories seeing it through the TV screen. Nonetheless, his exuberance as Biden in the cold open carried over into the rest of the show, marking the episode as an energetic one. The delightful “What’s Up With That?” sketch was risen from the dead, with Sudeikis returning as running man in red tracksuit. SNL alum Fred Armisen even made a brief appearance as the iconic long-haired saxophonist, which seemed to bring the episode’s generational significance full circle. 

Other highlights included “Science Room,“ “Parent-Teacher Conference” and of course, the greatest/worst character ever put to “Weekend Update,“ Guy Who Just Bought a Boat. While the sketches themselves aren’t as innovative as the week prior (a noticeable lack of Bowen Yang may be the culprit), the camaraderie and affection toward Sudeikis mostly compensates in that regard. It’s a good, fun episode, though simple. 

Kate McKinnon has yet to make her return to the series, and it is unclear at what point she will come back. However, her absence hasn’t been a total disadvantage. Her sketches have the tendency to manifest into the McKinnon Show, and they aren’t always keen to let her share the spotlight. In Season 47, there’s been a noticeable increase in cast collaboration that emphasizes the mentality that “every line matters.” 

SNL will not be on for the Halloween weekend, but it will return November 6 with another first-time host: Kieran Culkin. Hopes are high that his dry wit will make for a compelling episode, but his fanbase still remains relatively limited. Perhaps he’ll bring in his brother Macaulay in order to strike a chord with audiences. 

@buffedfilmbuffs

ls758920@ohio.edu