Comissioner Megan Handle listens attentively to guest speaker Ellen Gill and Sarah Ladipo, Student Trustees for Ohio University's Board of Trustees during the Student Senate Meeting in Walter Hall, Oct. 6, 2021.

Student Senate: Discussion with Athens mayor held, appointments made

The Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday evening to discuss a variety of topics with Athens Mayor Steve Patterson, as well as to give general updates. 

Patterson talked with Senate about House Bills 322 and 327, which deal with teaching Critical Race Theory. He said he plans for all Athens city employees to engage in a two-year race, equity and leadership training program that will discuss the history of racism and allyship. However, if the bills pass, he said he would not be able to put such programs in place.

Patterson also emphasized the importance of students gaining experience in local government. He cited examples of OU students serving on city council and said that there are many different options for students to get involved.

“We have 23 or 24 boards and commissions for the City of Athens,” Patterson said. “We’re always looking for people who will volunteer their time to serve as a commissioner or a board member.”

He then discussed a city plan that will, pending City Council approval, produce a 2.6 megawatt solar energy rig that will assist Patterson and the Council’s resolution to reduce the city of Athens’ carbon footprint by 50% by 2030.

Additionally, Patterson spoke about the importance of getting vaccinated and elaborated on his decision to cancel the city’s block party celebration due to COVID-19 cases in the county.

After the discussion with Patterson, Senate voted to add three resolutions to the agenda. The resolutions had the purpose of appointing an associate justice to the Judicial Panel, a delegate to the Senate Appropriations Commission, or SAC, and a Black Affairs Senator to Senate. All resolutions were passed.

Senate also announced their plan to hold a town hall with the Athens City Council Democratic Candidates Tuesday Oct. 26 at 7 p.m., followed by a “Love Yourself Week” that would begin its events Nov. 1.

During her report, Becky “Eliza” Ivan, president of Senate, reminded Senate that the deadline to get the first COVID-19 vaccination is Nov. 15 for OU students who have not yet been vaccinated.

Vice President Elaina Tartal encouraged members of Senate to remind organizations to apply for funding. The deadline for which is Nov. 1.

20% to 30% of the Senate budget is allocated for semesterly funding, Tartal said.

Simar Kalkat, Senate treasurer, reported Senate has a total budget of $67,991.68, $1,505 of which has been allocated. 

@AlexImwalle

ai687120@ohio.edu