(Photo provided via @bacheloretteabc on Instagram)

TV Review: The guys show off their basketball skills on 'The Bachelorette'

Emotions and tension are on full-swing this week on the Bachelorette as the competition for Michelle’s heart is starting to heat up. 

Class is in-session this week on the Bachelorette. The first group-date spent their day in the classroom testing all kinds of skills. Jamie started his one-on-one with Michelle on a rocky climb and then ended with a very emotional story about his childhood. The second group-date was shooting on the court for Michelle’s heart. 

As the dates begin, and the guys start to spend more time with Michelle, we are starting to learn more about our guys and their intentions. Here’s some highlights from week two of the Bachelorette:

Peter’s attitude in the classroom might leave him without a rose

The school bells are ringing and the guys head back to the classroom on this week’s group date. Michelle was accompanied by some of her students who tested the guy’s on their math, science, musical and spelling abilities. 

Peter was working a little too hard this week to stand out for Michelle’s attention; she was very turned off by his attitude throughout the group date. 

During the spelling bee, the guy’s were given the word “narcissist” and Will wrote Peter’s name on his white board. Obviously, tension between Will and Peter broke out shortly after at the cocktail party. Michelle pulled Peter aside and revealed her concerns about Peter’s anger over a small joke. 

Jamie scores this season’s first one-on-one date

Jamie received the first one-on-one date. Michelle and Jamie drove to Joshua Tree National Park and went rock climbing. After a rocky start to the date the two ended with dinner. Michelle explained her family background and how strong of a family she has. Jamie then proceeded to discuss his not so easy childhood. Jamie discussed that the first half of his childhood was wonderful; he was a very good student and his mom did everything for him and his sister. 

However, bills started to add up and they had to move in with his grandparents. Jamie then confessed that his mother battled with serious mental health issues that lead her to suicidal thoughts. 

When Jamie was just 12-years-old, he caught his mom trying to take her own life. Jamie’s attendance was so poor that he was unable to graduate and he discussed the anxiety he would have about his mother when he was at school. 

When he was 24-years-old, his mother did end up taking her life, changing Jamie’s life forever. Michelle was very blown away by Jamie’s story and which led him to receive a rose by the end of the date.

Joe is shooting three’s for Michelle’s heart

Our second group date left it all out on the court. Michelle wanted to test the guys on their ability to shoot for her heart. The guys played a game in an attempt to score extra time with Michelle at the end of the game. The blue swept the red team off the court and scored extra time with Michelle. 

Joe was on the red team, but received the MVP title of the game and got to attend the cocktail party with Michelle. However, he was going through a rollercoaster of emotions with the recent passing of his basketball coach. As a former basketball player herself, Michelle related to Joe and the grief he was feeling. After the two bonded, he received the group date rose.

As the cast this season is shaping up to be a very genuine group of guys, hard decisions for Michelle are on the horizon.  After saying goodbye to Alec, Daniel, Pardeep and PJ this week,  the competition for Michelle’s heart is starting to heat up. 

am646319@ohio.edu 

@apmcquillan