Tunes with Tate: First reactions to the long awaited new album '30' by Adele

Adele has had the world wrapped around her finger in anticipation of her next album. In the almost six years since 25 came out, Adele has gone through a divorce while embarking on a journey to find happiness. This album is a time capsule of her life since her last record and once again proves why she is one of the most prolific artists of the modern era. 

“Strangers By Nature” is a transformative yet simple blues-heavy ballad. In my mind, it paints a scene of a ballroom of people slow dancing to it in their heartbreak because the song is so enchanting. The end includes acoustic vocals that feel like the musical embodiment of tears and sets the tone for the remaining 11 songs.

Having already been released, “Easy On Me” is a rollercoaster of the emotions that come with navigating a break up. Adele returns to a familiar metaphor: water. She compares her lack of hope to the feeling of drowning in a river while she pleads for the person this song is directed towards to be as gentle as possible to her through it all.

While the context of what Adele sings about on this album is largely sad, “My Little Love” adds in some wholesome notes about how her son has been her saving grace throughout her divorce from his father. In between her aching lyrics, she includes audio clips of the two of them talking to further hurt our hearts.

“Cry Your Heart Out” is the first song on 30 that adds in pop sounds. They’re surprising for an Adele record considering her typically soulful, jazz-tinted and blues-heavy style. While it’s more upbeat, Adele still sings about crying her heart out because she feels numb and not like herself. 

In both “Oh My God” and “Can I Get It,“ Adele dives into the start of a new relationship. There’s an appreciation for this new person for treating her so well with hints of fighting through personal fears as a result. “Can I Get It” in particular grabs your attention because of the atypical use of guitar and a mild country music feel throughout. 

“I Drink Wine” emphasizes the overwhelming nature of knowing you need to stop trying to be somebody else and find yourself again. It is very contemplative and the perfect song to listen to as rain patters on your window.

30’s interlude, “All Night Parking,” features Erroll Garner as Adele eloquently sings about wanting to keep dreaming of someone because of how pleasantly surprising they have been.

“Woman Like Me” is a power ballad about knowing one’s worth and informing a partner that they need to grow and be a consistently better person if they want to be able to stay in a relationship with you. The way Adele sings about male insecurity is almost anthemic because of how resonative it is. 

“Hold On” is an serenaditive reminder to keep going despite how hard it can be to feel like you’re constantly at war with yourself. Adele asks listeners to “let time be patient” and “pain be gracious” because inner strength will help one get through hardships.

Human desire lives within everyone, but things like the desire “To Be Loved” is beyond unanimous. The lyrics of track 11 are particularly excellent. Adele describes trying so hard to figure things out but still feeling more lost than ever and as if a mess that will never be able to be cleaned up was made. All of the songs on 30 are phenomenal, but the emotions  “To Be Loved” makes me feel puts it at the top for me.

Finally, track 12, “Love Is A Game,” opens with instrumentals that make me envision running in a dreamy, endless field. Adele then begins to express frustration with someone for having too high of expectations of her. She also sings that while “love is a game for fools,“ she is willing to take the risk of being a fool for love.

This album hits hard, especially after waiting so long for its release. While at first listen I think I prefer 25, 30 was still worth the impatience and is perfect listening material for the rest of fall and the impending winter. Adele never misses when it comes to both destroying fans’ emotions and delivering more positive songs about being happy and in love. Here’s to the half decade of waiting for this pure masterpiece.

Tate Raub is a sophomore studying strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Tate know by tweeting her @tatertot1310.

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor