Here's 9 places to take your dad this weekend

After all the HallOUween fun last week, it’s time for another special time on your fall calendar: Dad’s Weekend. It’s the perfect time of year to catch your pops up on your life at OU, and also show them around campus and Athens. 

However, with so many great places and so little time, it may be a bit daunting to start thinking of ideas. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled a list of options that should satisfy all the different types of dads out there. Here are several places to take your dad during dad’s weekend:

Food

Ciro Italian Kitchen & Bar

An upscale option, Ciro is great for those craving Italian food. The atmosphere is elegant, yet inviting, with warm lighting and white-clothed tables, and the waitstaff are kind and attentive. 

They have everything from flatbreads to pasta, with options for vegetarians, too. Reservations can be made and walk-ins are an available option, as well.

The Pigskin Bar and Grille

A casual venue located on Court Street, the Pigskin is a nice choice for some comfort food and a lively vibe. Watch a sports game on one of the several TVs or play some ping pong and pool. The Pigskin has great deals on food and drinks, as well, with options like $7.99 House Specials on Thursdays, Happy Hours from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and alcohol specials after 9 p.m.

Casa Nueva

A personal favorite of my own father, Casa Nueva is a staple of Athens and Ohio University. They specialize in fresh and flavorful Mexican dishes, which are well worth the wait of the sit-down style. 

It also gives patrons time to talk with one another and connect. Sit-downs occur from Thursday dinner to Sunday brunch with reservations as an option, but walk-ins and carry out are welcomed too.

Activities

A hike 

Fall in Athens is one of the most beautiful things you can show someone. If your dad is one that likes to keep active, consider taking a hike to the Ridges. Show them the old mental asylum and even stop by the Kennedy Museum of Art that’s located inside one of the buildings. Some suggested trails: the Ridges Trail, the Ridges Cemetery Nature Walk and the Radar Hill Trail. 

If you’re looking for a longer hike, make the 30-minute drive to Hocking Hills and visit Cedar Falls, Old Mans Cave, Ash Cave or Wayne National Forest. 

Open mic night

If you want to do something low-key with your father, grab a coffee and relax at an open mic night or open stage. Open mic nights are a great way to show off the talent of your peers as well as listen to some live music. Donkey Coffee hosts an open stage every Thursday at 8 p.m., and Frontroom’s open mic is every Friday at 6 p.m.

See Nosferatu

The Southeast Ohio History Center will be showing the silent film Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror. Taking place on Friday, they are also having world-class organist Dennis James accompany the film. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with the movie beginning at 7 p.m. Southeast Ohio History Center members/students are $15 and general admission is $20. You can purchase them by calling 740-592-2280 or by visiting SOHC’s front desk.

School Sponsored Events

Basketball game against Capital University

Show some school spirit by supporting the men’s basketball team as they take on Capital University at home this weekend. What is a better way to give your father an OU experience than going to a sports event? Tickets can be purchased for $5 on ohiobobcats.com, and the game begins at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

See Stephen Kramer Glickman

If you’ve seen the TV show Big Time Rush, then you definitely know who Stephen Kramer Glickman is. Well known for his role as Gustavo Rocque, Glickman will be visiting OU to tell stories and share music with all the bobcats and bobdads. Admission is $10 and the visit will take place on Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Baker Center Ballroom.

Play mini-golf at Alden

Want to show your father around campus, but also do an activity at the same time? A round of mini-golf at Alden Library will be perfect for you. Courses will be set up throughout three floors and you’ll have the option of nine holes for $5 or 18 holes for $10. Set up a tee time anytime on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. here.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu