Fresh Finds: Ed Sheeran returns with 'Equals'; Green Day releases single from upcoming live album

We’ve finally reached the point in the semester where there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. As we inch closer to Thanksgiving break and our motivation to go to class wanes, we could all use some new music to help power through the week. Luckily, we have some new tunes to keep you energized during these long days and long nights. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are 7 new songs to get you through the week:

“Overpass Graffiti” by Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran returned last week with a new album, Equals. “Overpass Graffiti” is the fifth song on the album and has a personal story. 

“My life changed greatly over the past few years: I got married, became a father, experienced loss,” Sheeran said in an interview with Complex. 

Sheeran sees Equals as a coming of age album and “Overpass Graffiti” is a testament to that. The singer realizes he is getting older. Sheeran reminisces candidly, creating the feeling that he is catching up with us for the first time in years during “Overpass Graffiti,” since the last release of his previous album, Divide, in 2017.

“I Won’t Complain” by 44PHANTOM, Tom The Mail Man

44 PHANTOM, best known for his songs  “Freak” and “Gray,” teamed up with Tom The Mail Man for "I Won't Complain." It’s a song about heartbreak, best exemplified by the lyrics, "Gave you all I had and then you lost it / I don't care if I still care / I'm honestly alright." 

Over a punk rock beat, 44 Phantom and Tom the Mail Man bring a unique twist to a breakup song and the process of moving on.

“Sober/Hungover” by Sueco, Arizona Zervas

Officially released last Friday, “Sober/Hangover” has been on numerous “for you pages” on TikTok. Sueco actually explained in a TikTok that “Sober/Hungover” celebrated 150 days of him being sober.

The singer is best known for his hit single "Fast." He recently switched from mumble rapper to punk rock superstar but Sueco stayed within his roots on this track by adding rapper Arizona Zervas. The two combine to make a party anthem about trying to balance sobriety and hangovers, all while living life too fast.

“Amor Fati” by Mike Posner, James Valentine, Jacob Scesney

Mike Posner teamed up with James Valentine and Jacob Scesney for a new groovy song, "Amor Fati," to get you on your feet and moving. Posner created this song as part of a collaboration with CLIF on a project called "Remix In Motion.” As you progress, you can unlock more parts to the song, two unique remixes and get a workout as you do it. You can try it for yourself here.

Posner returns with wobbly banging guitars as the backbeat for his new single. A classic rock beat converts later into this chilled-out acoustic track, reminding us to "smile and wave amor fati / I'ma ride the wave."

”Hyperlandia” by deadmau5, Mark Foster (Foster The People)

Foster the People is best known for its 2011 hit “Pumped Up Kicks.” They stepped into the world of EDM and teamed up with industry icon Deadmau5 in “Hyperlandia.” We’re in the search for love in the complex synthetic waves of the sparking arpeggios and rumbling drums similar to the style you find in Odesza’s “Moment Apart.” This isn’t the first time Deadmau5 has collaborated with other bands; he’s teamed up with artists such as Gerard Way and Kiesza, creating video game-like tunes that were a welcomed change to his discography.

“Duck Duck Goose” by Joyner Lucas

Joyner Lucas, the rapper best known for his collaborations, returned in “Duck Duck Goose.” However, with no collaboration to be spoken of this time, he still brings the heat of all the recent offerings he’s given this year such as “Late to the Party” and “Dreams Unfold.”

Inspired by the classic children's game, Lucas is the metaphorical goose out to defeat the competition of the ducks. In the video that was released along with the song, you can see him flexing his musical talent as he discharges a flame thrower while riding an ATV. 

Basket Case (BBC Live Session)” by Green Day

If you went through a punk rock phase in highs school, this iconic Green Day song from Dookie is one you are probably familiar with. “Basket Case” is one of the 16 songs off of the upcoming BBC Live album which covers the complete discography of Green Day from the 90s and early 2000s. Prepare for nostalgia on Dec.10.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu