c

6 ways to take care of your skin during the fall

Now that the weather is changing, your skin might be, too. A drastic change in the air outside can do a number to your skin, but there are many methods and products out there to keep your skincare in check. It’s important to replenish the moisture in your skin and prepare for the harsher temperatures that are soon to come in the next few months. 

It only takes a few small changes to keep your skin looking as healthy as it did during the summer. Here are some tips to keep your skin glowy, even in the colder weather:

Switch to a hydrating cleanser

If your skin gets especially dry during the colder months, consider switching out cleansers. Hydrating cleansers retain the moisture in your skin and don’t strip it of the natural oils you produce. If your face feels tight and dry after cleansing, you may need to transition to a cream-based cleanser. Maintaining your skin barrier is especially important when the season changes. 

There are many great hydrating cleansers on the market, but these two from La Roche-Posay and Glossier get the job done for a great price. They are both suitable for sensitive skin and fully cleanse without drying out your face.

Exfoliate, but don’t overdo it

Exfoliating your skin at least once a week is extremely important in ensuring that your pores don’t get clogged and cause breakouts. However, it’s also important to pay attention to your skin’s needs and make sure that you aren’t exfoliating too much. Try to cut down on exfoliating this fall. The change in weather is already irritating to the skin, so don’t add to it. 

If you need a new exfoliator, here are some cult favorites for a decent price: Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant sweeps away dead skin cells, unclogs pores and smooths out wrinkles. The Ordinary’s AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is great for congested pores, dullness and texture. Just make sure to follow the instructions for this product very carefully.

Lastly, the CeraVe SA Cleanser is an extremely gentle exfoliator that will give all the benefits of an exfoliator while also hydrating. This product is great for those that are new to exfoliating.

Stay moisturized

One of the most crucial steps in transitioning your skincare for the fall is ensuring your skin is getting enough moisture. There are so many great thick creams for the face, but CeraVe’s Moisturizing Cream for dry skin is a drugstore favorite for many. 

It’s gentle, includes wonderful ingredients and even provides relief for extremely dry skin. If you are intimidated to try a thicker cream, try out The Ordinary hyaluronic acid serum. For only $5, this product is lightweight and naturally retains the moisture in your skin.

Besides using topical products, also make sure that you are drinking enough water on a daily basis. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day will keep your skin healthy and plump. It’s like moisturizing your skin from the inside out.

Continue using SPF

Even though it’s not summer anymore, don’t ditch your sunscreen. Damaging UV rays are present year-round and are the main cause of skin cancer and premature aging. Although you might not be able to get a tan from the sun during the fall, your skin can still be damaged if not protected. There are so many SPF products that are suitable for all types of skin.

The Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen has zero white cast with an SPF of 40. It’s also great underneath makeup. If your skin is on the oily side, Cetaphil’s Pro Dermacontrol Oil Absorbing Moisturizer has an SPF of 30 and leaves the skin with a matte finish while still providing great hydration. 

For dry skin, the SuperGoop! Glow Stick offers amazing hydration and sun protection with a glowing finish. Lastly, tinted sunscreen is a great way to even out your skin tone while also keeping it hydrated and protected from the sun. 

The Elta MD UV Daily Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 40 is amazing for any skin type and offers healing benefits for damaged skin. A cheaper alternative is the CeraVe Hydrating Sunscreen Face Sheet Tint that has an SPF of 30 and will leave your skin with a healthy glow.

Treat breakouts the right way

If your skin does become irritated from the change in weather, don’t freak out. Sometimes you can’t avoid a few breakouts, and that’s OK. You just need to have patience when treating your blemishes. The most important thing to remember is to not pick or squeeze at the area. This will spread bacteria to other parts of your face and may cause you to break out even more. Also, don’t over dry the area with a ton of strong acne treatments. 

Try to stick to one product to treat the area. Products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are great to use as spot treatments overnight. Use your normal cleanser and moisturizer and follow up with the spot treatment. Make sure that you are only using one product with these ingredients, though. 

They can be harsh on your skin and make it even worse if you overdo it. If you want to cover up any areas during the day, try to use makeup with salicylic acid. This will continue the treatment of any irritation while also providing coverage. IT Cosmetics and E.L.F. both carry great acne fighting makeup products. 

Body care

Don’t ignore the rest of your skin during the colder months. The skin on your body can and will get just as dry and irritated as the skin on your face. To prevent this from happening, start off by exfoliating your body in the shower. 

There are great body exfoliators that you can find at your local drugstore. You can also use a loofah or exfoliating glove to make sure all of the dead skin is washed away. Exfoliating your body will keep your skin soft, supple and even, especially if you use sunless tanning products during the colder months. 

Now that you have exfoliated, it’s crucial that you follow up with a body moisturizer. Whether you use a lotion, oil or body butter, don’t forget to moisturize your body after you shower or go to bed. 

This body butter from Ulta smells amazing and will leave your skin feeling soft. If your skin is sensitive to fragrance, try the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion. It soothes and nourishes dry skin without any irritation.

@gracebrezine   

gb194519@ohio.edu