Ohio head coach Jeff Boals addresses his team during an exhibition basketball game against Capital University at Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021.

Men's Basketball: Ohio adds 4 recruits during early signing period

Ohio announced that it added four recruits during the early signing period. Coach Jeff Boals said in a statement that Ajay Sheldon, AJ Brown, Elmore James IV and Aidan Hadaway are all expected to join Ohio’s roster next season. 

"We are very excited to add four high character young men to our Bobcat family," Boals said. "Our staff did a phenomenal job building relationships and finding young men who fit what we do on and off the court. They all come from winning programs, are high academically and chose Ohio for the right reasons. This is another great signing class for our program on a national and conference level."

Here’s a rundown on the four recruits who joined Ohio during the early signing period:

Ajay Sheldon

Position: Guard

Height: 6’1’‘

Hometown/High School: Dublin, Ohio / Dublin Coffman High School

Sheldon originally announced his commitment to Ohio back in August, but now it's put to paper. The guard averaged 23.5 points last season for Dublin Coffman High School and was named to the Division I All-Ohio Third Team.

Sheldon comes from a basketball family. His father coached at Baldwin Wallace for seven seasons and his sister Jacy was a five-star recruit who’s currently in her junior season playing for Ohio State. 

AJ Brown

Position: Guard

Height: 6’4’‘

Hometown/High School: Orlando, Fla. / Orlando Christian Prep

According to ESPN, Brown is Ohio’s highest-rated recruit of the early signing period. In fact, he’s Ohio’s highest-rated recruit since it picked up D.J. Cooper in 2009. The guard is a four-star recruit and the No. 19 ranked shooting guard in the nation. 

In his junior season at Orlando Christian Prep, Brown shot 50% from the field and 38% from 3-point range. He averaged 15 points and four rebounds per game that season and helped Orlando Christian Prep to its second consecutive state championship.

Brown had also received offers from Texas A&M, Penn State and Clemson before committing to Ohio.

Elmore James IV

Position: Guard

Height: 6’3’‘

Hometown/High School: Cleveland, Ohio / Brush High School

James was a monster for Brush High School in his junior year. The guard averaged 29.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game last season, and he was named the Western Reserve Conference Player of the Year.

James received offers from three other Mid-American Conference teams — Toledo, Kent State and Miami — as well as Tulane and North Texas.

Aidan Hadaway

Position: Forward

Height: 6’8’‘

Hometown/High School: Lafayette, Ga. / Lafayette High School

At 6 feet, 8 inches, Hadaway is the tallest recruit Ohio picked up during the early signing period, but height isn’t the only thing he brings to the table.

According to Rivals, Hadaway is the No. 30-ranked small forward in the nation. He averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds per game during his junior season at Lafayette High School, which finished with a 22-2 record.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu