Swimmers do a start during the 400 Individual Medley during the Ohio University vs. Ball State meet at home. Bobcats won against the Cardinals 188.5 to 110.5 on Saturday, Jan. 25th, 2020.

Swim and Dive: Ohio places second at Magnus Cup

Ohio traveled to Cleveland to compete in the Magnus Cup, its first invitational of the season. It ended the weekend with a second-place finish, and it totaled 1,377.50 points over three days.

The Bobcats performed well in each of the relay events over the weekend, never placing below fourth. They began the weekend by placing third in the 200-yard freestyle relay with an overall time of 1:33.31. The Bobcats followed that performance up with a fourth-place finish in the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:42.83 on Friday.

Ohio improved after Friday by placing second in all other relays, including the 400-yard and 800-yard freestyle relays.

Ohio also fared well in many of the individual events. Julia Strine began her weekend by placing fourth in the 50-yard breaststroke and also claimed third place in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Emma Fortman was the first Bobcat to win an event after finishing first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:54.63. The junior continued to dominate throughout the weekend, winning the 200-yard freestyle by one-tenth of a second. Junior McKenzie Grau finished second in the 200-yard freestyle behind Fortman and also took third place in the 100-yard freestyle.

The Bobcats had a solid outing in diving. Halli Siwik placed third in the three-meter event with score of 265 while Sienna Brenton and Grace Matocha secured spots at seventh and eighth place, respectively. Siwik rounded out her Friday night by taking second place in the one-meter event with a score of 259.95. 

Ohio didn’t garner as much success Saturday. It finished in fourth place or lower in four events. In the 1650-yard freestyle, sophomores Olivia Morlok and Morgan Croaning finished in fifth and sixth place, respectively. Junior Madeline Marks placed eighth in the event as well.

The Bobcats return to The Aquatic Center on Jan. 7, when they will host Marshall.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu 

Emma Erion

Managing Editor