‘Spencer’ was released in theaters on Nov. 5, 2021(Photo provided via @JoshWilber6 on Twitter)

Film Review: Kristen Stewart's performance in ‘Spencer’ is one for the ages

Pablo Larraín’s Spencer is a haunting tale of Princess Diana’s (Kristen Stewart) last Christmas before her split from Prince Charles. In a mind twisting way, Larraín shows a side of the “people’s princess” that is rarely ever seen from the royals. Princess Diana’s life is a true reflection of the film’s title, “A Fable from a True Tragedy,” as she faced mental health issues, a public divorce and an untimely death. 

Ahead of the 25th anniversary of her death, former Princess of Wales Diana Spencer is being memorialized more than ever between Elizabeth Debicki’s character on The Crown, a revival of her fashion, Diana: The Musical and Spencer, which is creating an Oscar buzz.

Larraín is also known for Jackie, the movie portraying Jackie Kennedy in the days following John F. Kennedy’s assassination. The stories portrayed in Spencer and Jackie may be Larraín’s favorite type of story to tell: the anguished wife with a cheating husband. Prince Charles’ affair with Camilla Parker Bowles is put on the front burner in the movie; he’s pictured giving Camilla and Diana the same pearl necklace for Christmas. 

Kristen Stewart does a magnificent job of portraying Princess Diana as a prisoner of The House of Windsor. She is depicted as a charming woman and an endearing mother to Prince William and Prince Harry. During the film, the Princess disrupts the “good fun” and traditions in her yearning for freedom, while also struggling with bulimia.

The movie creates an eerie comparison between the Princess to King Henry VIII’s second wife, Anne Boleyn, who was accused of an affair by the King, but was simultaneously pursuing a relationship with Jane Seymore. Boleyn’s character makes a rather creepy appearance in Princess Diana’s dreams and her mental breaks. In her dream, Boleyn tells the devastated Diana that King Henry gave Boleyn and Seymore the same necklace, a small portrait of themself, for Christmas one year also. 

During her “episodes” the music swells and surrounds the audience. Jonny Greenwood, lead guitarist of Radiohead, composed the score of the movie to perfectly match Stewart’s character. Even if the movie was available on streaming services, it's one of those movies you have to see in theaters because the musical experience is so essential to watching this film. The soundtrack is a perfect mix of 80s and 90s music and classical to reflect the era.

Jack Farthing’s first large role is a convincing one: an irritating Prince Charles. He is always watching and standing by Diana but rarely speaking. Farthing’s most memorable scene is so frustrating and raw that you’ll leave the theater mad at the character but awe struck by the performance.  

The Princess’ adorable stylist, Maggie, is played by Sally Hawkins. The Princess is separated from the only person who truly understands her by the family, making the audience sympathize with Spencer. Even though Hawkins only has a few scenes, she’s one of the best characters and her humor completes the movie. 

The children are absolutely charming; just the right amount of adorable and caring of their mother. Growing up in a strict family cannot be fun, but with Diana as their mother, they seem to be living as close to a normal life as possible. 

Boleyn and Maggie’s characters both tell Diana to break free of the family and unshackle herself. During her escape, she changes through magnificent outfits. Also, her dancing is almost uncanny and possessed, making this scene rather strange to watch. Showing Princess Diana at different ages running away was more than enough to signify her breaking free. 

Larraín also uses odd motifs between the pearls Prince Charles gave Diana, his future wife and pheasants. The pearls appear in Princess Diana’s first episode at dinner, as she breaks them off into her soup and eats them. Just like the dancing, it felt uncomfortable and strange as a scene.

Pheasants are a bird with decorative feathers that many British hunters kill for game. By drawing the analogy, Larraín compares the rambunctious Princess to the bird throughout the film. Pheasant hunting is one tradition the family has for their Christmas dinner. Not only is she dressed in beautiful outfits, she is also “game” to the family. At the end of the movie, the Princess runs right into the same field to take her children away from the family. 

Overall, the movie was much better than expected from its casting, music, outfits and acting. To get the full experience, head to the theaters to see and hear the tragedy of Diana. 

@Maggiepalma01 

mp359120@ohio.edu