7 easy dips to bring to Thanksgiving

Planning Thanksgiving meals can be hard. There are so many factors that go into the perfect meal: how many guests there are, allergies and dietary restrictions and even just pickiness. 

For mediocre cooks like me, you may just be asked to bring a simple appetizer this year to hold the guests off until dinner. Whether it’s a quick batch for a Friendsgiving or huge helping for your entire family, here are seven easy dips to bring to the table this Thanksgiving:

Pimiento Cheese Dip

While you might not associate cheese with Thanksgiving, this pimiento cheese dip will surely change your mind. 

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then fold in pimientos, cheddar, Jack cheese and scallions. Place the mixture into a two-cup baking dish and bake until the dip is bubbling or for 15 to 18 minutes. This dip is best served with chips, but feel free to make it healthier with celery and other veggies. 

Sesame Crème/Vegan Aioli 

This special recipe is not only perfect for the vegan and dairy-free guests at your table, but the recipe can actually make two different dips. 

After bringing oil and sesame seeds to a simmer in a small saucepan, cook until the seeds are golden and boil the remaining seeds and water. Then, combine garlic, lemon juice and boiled sesame seeds in a blender until coarse. You can use this dip on its own or blend with Dijon mustard for a vegan aioli. Either way, both dips will pair with anything on the menu. 

Stuffed Mushroom Dip

Mushrooms may seem like a hit or miss with guests, but you can never go wrong with a classic mushroom dip

In a large skillet, break Italian sausage into bite-size pieces and cook until brown. Add garlic, mushrooms and salt, and stir occasionally until the mushrooms are soft. Next, add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and half-and-half until bubbly. 

Pour the mushroom mix into a ramekin and mix butter, panko crumbs and parsley to sprinkle on top of the mixture. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes and enjoy with as much bread as possible. 

Brussels Sprout and Shallot Dip 

Not everyone loves brussels sprouts, but this next dip is so tasty your guests will completely forget they’re eating vegetables. 

Stir olive oil, shallot and garlic into a skillet constantly. Then add brussels sprouts, sea salt and pepper and continue stirring for three to four minutes. In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, cream cheese, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. 

Combine both mixtures in the bowl until well combined. Lastly, use olive to grease a cast iron and bake the dip for 11-13 minutes or until hot and bubbly. 

White Bean Pumpkin Hummus

Another option for vegan guests, this hummus dip will surely still please the meat lovers in attendance. 

After rinsing and draining white beans in a strainer, place them in a blender along with pumpkin, lemon juice, tahini, sea salt, cumin, smoked paprika, nutmeg and cinnamon. Purée until creamy and smooth, then heat in a small skillet and add garlic and sage. Sauté until brown and adjust seasonings to your liking. 

Cheese and Spicy Pecan Dip 

This warm cheese-and-spicy pecan dip is a whole new take on a traditional cheese dip. 

Pulse cream cheese and mayonnaise in a food processor until smooth. Combine Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese with cornstarch into a bowl until coated, and then stir in cream cheese mixture. 

Spoon into a one-quart baking dish and top with Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, then sprinkle with Spicy Pecans and chives when finished. 

Pumpkin Pie Dip

This last pumpkin pie dip will be sure to give your guests their just desserts. 

Combine heavy cream and Jello mix stir, then add pumpkin pie filling. Stir until the mixture is extremely fluffy. Add some cinnamon on top to finish it off and serve with cookies. This delicious treat is so easy and will finish off your guest’s appetite.  

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu