The Athens County Food Pantry is well-stocked but some people are still food insecure, Baker Center's Wednesday Acoustic and more

Start your day with The Post's latest news.

As a result of Joe Burrow’s 2019 Heisman Trophy acceptance speech, the Athens County Food Pantry received a ton of donations and was eventually able to start the Joe Burrow Hunger Relief Fund through the Foundation of Appalachian Ohio. Because of the sheer volume of donations, the pantry was able to increase both its stock and the number of other community outreach programs it is able to sponsor. However, food insecurity remains a huge issue for a lot of Athens residents as the world enters the third year of the pandemic. Learn more. 

Anyone who has ever walked through Baker University Center on a Wednesday afternoon has likely heard the entrancing sound of music coming from the Wednesday Acoustic shows on the second floor. As students go up and down the escalators, they are often drawn to the music and take a few minutes out of their days to listen. A bonus is that the shows often take place at the same time as the University Program Council’s “Flavor of the Week,” which offers free food for anyone. Performers are able to share their individual talents as students grab a “Flavor of the Week” plate, do homework or just relax. Read more. 

Buffalo will travel to Athens for a Monday game inside The Convo to make up for the postponed Jan. 12 game. Players to watch are both Cece Hooks, the new all-time leading MAC scorer, and Dyaisha Fair. The last time the Bulls came to The Convo, they lost 84-81. Now, they are second in the MAC behind Toledo. This game presents the Bobcats with a quick turnaround after their Saturday win against Bowling Green. Get to know the Bulls with this scouting report. 

Joe Burrow has made himself a household name from his time at LSU to his current-day feat of breaking the Cincinnati Bengals’ 31-year playoff win dry spell. Current day fans may only be familiar with his unique fashion choices, such as fun sunglasses, SpongeBob SquarePants pocket squares and getting slimed by Nickelodeon. His old social media posts from his pre-NFL days might not be as well-known. From a random, unexplained photo of a goat to SpongeBob SquarePants memes to a Cleveland Cavaliers-inspired mirror selfie, Burrow has posted all sorts of weird things on the internet. Check them out here

Opinion: The food we eat on a daily basis contains a lot of harmful ingredients, and we deserve to not worry about eating them. The food groups are something we learned all the way back in elementary school, so why are we continuing to eat foods that contain ingredients banned in other countries? It’s super easy to ignore the gross things put in food because of how often it’s done, but we deserve to not have to worry about consuming them in the first place. Those Little Debbie Swiss Rolls may taste great, but being branded with a warning because of color additives should raise some eyebrows. Read more.

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor