Armani Rodgers (18) celebrates after a big touchdown during at InfoCision Stadium on Oct. 2, 2021. (FILE)

Football: Spence Nowinsky hired as Ohio's defensive coordinator

Ohio announced Thursday afternoon that it hired Spence Nowinsky as its new defensive coordinator. The hiring was made public in a video posted to Ohio’s Twitter account.

"I'm extremely excited for the opportunity to work under the leadership of Coach Albin at Ohio University," Nowinsky said in a statement released by Ohio’s athletic department. "I look forward to developing and growing the Defensive Unit which has had a history of success and a tradition of excellence. My family and I are ecstatic about this next chapter of our lives in Athens." 

Nowinsky comes to Ohio after spending four seasons as Miami’s co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Last season, the RedHawks recorded the second-best scoring defense in the Mid-American Conference, as well as the fourth-best total defense. Nowinsky was responsible for two Miami linebackers receiving All-MAC honors since 2018.

In addition to his time with the RedHawks, Nowinsky is also noted for his time as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Football Championship Subdivision program Illinois State. In Nowinsky’s final four seasons with the team, the Redbirds defense recorded 131 sacks.

“Spence's defense at both Illinois State and Miami have shown the ability to stop the run game and get pressure on the quarterback," Ohio coach Tim Albin said. "After game-planning against his defenses over the past four seasons, we know first-hand that he has made the most of his personnel and has been a huge part of the recent success at his previous stop out west. Spence is a home run hire for our program." 

Ohio has been in a coaching search since former defensive coordinator Ron Collins and co-defensive coordinator Pete Germano announced their respective retirements in mid-November. Now, it seems they’ve found their man. 

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu