Ohio's Katelyn O'Brien swims the 200 Breaststroke against girls from Marshall University, The Bobcats won 177-120 at home in Athens, Ohio on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020. (FILE)

Swim and Dive: Ohio wraps up weekend road trips to Akron and Buffalo

Ohio wrapped up its weekend on the road with mixed success. Its swimmers traveled to face Akron in a dual meet, while the divers traveled to Buffalo, N.Y., for the UB Diving Invite. 

The Bobcats were unable to best the Zips and fell 241-101, meanwhile junior Halli Siwik advanced to the finals in two events at the UB Diving Invite. 

Swimming

Ohio’s dual meet against Akron was split into three sessions, with each swimmer being able to compete in one event per session. The Bobcats shone in session one, with junior McKenzie Grau nabbing a first place finish in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:05.07. Gabrielle Brust also earned herself a spot in first place. The sophomore finished the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:03.13, while teammate Madeline Marks came in third. 

Ohio picked up two more third-place finishes in the first session of the meet. Athena Aravantinou had a solid performance in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 57.04, while Caroline Dunigan finished third in the 50-yard freestyle. 

The second session included junior Emma Fortman winning the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:54.51, while Dunigan placed third. Brust competed in the second session as well, and she placed third in the 50-yard backstroke with a time of 26.40. 

The third session opened with Ohio’s Morgan Croaning snatching second place in the 800-yard freestyle. Brust competed in her third and final event, the 100-yard individual medley, and placed second with a time of 58.92 seconds. Kendra Sheehan finished third in the 50-yard fly, and Aravantinou placed second in the 200-yard backstroke.  

Diving

Siwik was Ohio’s top competitor at the UB Diving Invite. The Mid-American Conference Co-Diver of the Week advanced to the finals in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives.

In the 1-meter dive, Siwik placed seventh overall with a score of 241.775, in spite of the stiff competition she faced from reigning MAC Champion Buffalo. Siwik also advanced to the finals of the 3-meter dive, where she earned a fifth-place finish with a score of 251.10. 

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu 

Emma Erion

Managing Editor