Baker University Center, located at the center of campus on May 16, 2021.

OU resident assistant to hold walkout Saturday amid frustrations with Housing and Residence Life

Grievances voiced by resident assistants, or RAs, at Ohio University have caused a growing rift between the RAs and Housing and Residence Life, leading one RA to plan a staff-wide walkout Saturday at 9 a.m outside Baker Center. 

The grievances stem from university practices and policies that some RAs view as unfair or unrealistic. In the RAs’ minds, those include the implementation of unenforceable COVID-19 policies, inadequate protections from harassment and lack of sufficient compensation. Some RAs are also calling for a monetary fine for residents who get written up for not complying with OU’s newly announced coronavirus masking requirements

One RA, who spoke with The Post on the condition of anonymity for fear of punishment from the university, was the person to organize the walkout and has created a Twitter account — @oustaffwalkout1 — to keep others informed about the status of disagreements between RAs and Housing and Residence Life. 

“The walkout begins this Saturday at 9AM outside of baker,” the RA tweeted from the account. “They don’t want to listen to us. They don’t want to protect us. If they want our help they must show they truly respect us.”

In internal emails shared with The Post, Jen Maskiell, director of residence life operations, addressed concerns and frustrations some RAs expressed with the handling of questions during a morning information session Wednesday. 

According to the emails, Maskiell also referenced posts on Yik Yak, a social media app where users post messages, or “yaks,” anonymously

“Hope all the RAs know that if you hold a walkout, we WILL fire and replace you,” one anonymous message read. “There are plenty that are more than willing to take your spot!” 

In her emails, Maskiell denied any connection to the messages and offered her support to RAs who feel disheartened by the post. 

“I want you all to know that as the Director of Residence Life Operations, I whole heartedly do not have this mentality when it comes to our in-hall staff. I appreciate each and every one of you, and what you bring to the position,” Maskiell said in an email to the RA staff. “I know that sending emails may not feel genuine, but I can only ask that you give me and the leadership team a chance to work with you to help offer resolve to questions and concerns that you may have.”

Carly Leatherwood, a university spokesperson, said Housing and Residence Life leadership have been holding ongoing conversations with RAs to better understand how to support them. Additionally, she said the university acknowledges the complexities of RA positions and prioritizes the health and safety of all students, faculty and staff at OU. 

Despite messages of support from Maskiell and Leatherwood, the RA leading the walkout plans to go through with it. They have seen “a lot of support” on social media surrounding the walkout, though there are some concerns regarding how likely others will be to join in. 

“There's been times that RAs on this campus have tried doing this before and it's failed, and maybe this will fail as well, but you (have) to at least try,” the RA said. “It's going to come down to what the people of Ohio University want. If this is something that they want to get behind, then the more people that’ll come, the more attention it’ll get.” 

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu