8 easy meals for everyday dorm life

Living in a college dorm room can have its perks, but as some know all too well, it can also have its limitations.

Without common cooking appliances allowed in dorm rooms, as prohibited by the university, it becomes difficult to whip up anything more adventurous than Ramen on days where your wallet can’t handle another charge on Court Street. 

With the temperature dropping and the trek to the dining halls feeling like hours rather than minutes, try these relatively simple recipes that can be accomplished from the comfort of your dorm room:

Mac and cheese in a mug

Pretty much everything needed for this quick and easy cheesy lunchtime meal is stated in the title. 

Although a mug is usually used for holding things such as coffee or hot chocolate, it happens to hold the perfect serving size for macaroni and cheese. This recipe also allows you to choose your own kind, and amount of cheese because it doesn’t come in a predetermined package. 

Simply take some macaroni elbows (boxes can be found at grocery stores), place them in a mug, add water, microwave for around 8 minutes (or less, careful not to set off your fire alarm) and layer in the cheese as you stir. 

Spinach omelet

For breakfast, try a healthier alternative to a meat filled omelet, and use spinach instead. For those who actively avoid vegetables at all costs, this recipe is a sneaky way to add them to your diet with as little pain as possible. This one may require you to do a little grocery shopping at one of the marketplaces or Walmart (if you have a set of wheels) but it is well worth it for the result.  

All you need is a bowl to mix two eggs, a little bit of milk, a plate to evenly distribute the mixture and a microwave to heat it up. Then, simply throw on the spinach, add whatever seasoning you have lying around, flip and enjoy. 

Taco in a bag

On a slightly less healthy note, trying this easy to make Friday night snack only requires a little taco meat, some cheese, a bag of Doritos and a microwave.

Once again, you may need to take a trip to a grocery store to purchase some taco meat, but once you do, you are able to use it for recipes like nachos, regular tacos, or this portable, chip-based recipe. 

Take your taco meat, warm it in a bowl in the microwave, while it warms, grab a bag of Doritos and squeeze it till they are slightly crushed. Then, open your bag, add cheese, lettuce or whatever else you have, and finally your taco meat. 

The recipe calls for a small bag of chips, but if you feel so inclined as to use a family sized bag, nobody is stopping you. 

Homemade potato chips 

Tired of overly oiled and processed potato chips? Just make your own with this recipe so you always have a healthier alternative to a classic snack.

All you need is a potato (do not forget to rinse well), some olive oil and a little bit of sea salt. Cut up the potato into thin slices and dip them in olive oil, before sprinkling on some sea salt. 

Line them up on a paper towel and throw the group in the microwave for around three minutes. Then, flip the chips and repeat the microwave process. This recipe is as simple as it gets, plus the result will last you awhile, just one potato can make a lot more chips than you think. 

Peanut butter protein oatmeal 

This breakfast meal or after gym snack is for those looking for a little extra protein in their diet. All you need is a heatable oatmeal packet (Quaker will do) and a jar of peanut butter, although, any type of peanut butter-like food will do, such as tree nut butters. Pour the oatmeal packet into a bowl, add water and stick in the microwave for the allotted amount of time listed on your oatmeal pack, then once it is heated, add 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter, a scoop of protein powder and mix thoroughly. 

Avocado pomegranate toast

This recipe does call for toast, so if you are lucky enough to live in a dorm hall that has a kitchen with a toaster, this one's for you. If not, this meal can also be prepared using a regular, non-toasted piece of bread.

This recipe does call for many different ingredients such as garlic and buffalo mozzarella cheese, so if you have both the time and resources, go for it, but if not, this meal can be prepared at its most basic form and still be delicious. For example, simply adding slices of avocado and your favorite berry (pomegranate, blueberry, raspberry etc.) to a piece of bread is a simple, healthy breakfast item with tons more flavor than any cereal you have laying around your dorm. 

Granola 

Similar to potato chips, processed granola can oftentimes be hurting our nutrition rather than helping it, so why not make it yourself instead? 

This recipe includes naturally sweet ingredients such as coconut, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg that are perfect for a snack in between classes. Combine all the ingredients listed, pop in the microwave for two minutes and you'll have granola for days to come. 

For those who want even more protein, throw your homemade granola on a bowl of yogurt, or on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The possibilities extend as far as your imagination will let them. 

Oreo Nutella icebox cake

This recipe is exactly as crazy as it sounds. Take any sort of box, fill the insides with tinfoil and prepare to make a cake using only Oreos, Cool Whip and milk. First dunk your Oreos in milk, lay them in your makeshift ice-box, add a layer of Cool Whip. Then, heat up a bowl of Nutella in the microwave until it's nice and melted and proceed to pour it over the Cool Whip and repeat until you cannot anymore. You could even add your dorm-made granola as another layer if so desired. Finally, stick your concoction in the freezer for a couple hours and prepare to enjoy. 

When the thought of dining at Nelson or The District on West Green doesn’t fill your stomach with excitement, try these recipes to add some variety to your diet. 

With healthy options, as well as some less healthy ones, these recipes are sure to satisfy any cravings that one may have. 

@chomicki_11

cc142520@ohio.edu