5 recipes that will cure your hangover in no time

It’s no secret that Court Street can produce some of the nastiest hangovers, often ones that seem incurable and leave partygoers saying, “I’m never drinking again.” Typically though, college students are out a few hours later, back at it, as many have been taught, “The best way to cure a hangover is to keep drinking.” Candidly, this probably isn’t the finest solution.

While it may also seem easy to jump in the car and take a trip to McDonald’s and order a greasy Big Mac or a 4 for 4 from Wendy’s, a lot of the time these fast-food grubs will only leave you feeling worse and returning to the toilet for the 10th time that morning. With that being said, help your hangxiety and your health with these 5 easy-to-make, nutritious hangover remedies:

Savory cheddar oatmeal with bacon, garlicky greens and eggs

What could possibly taste better than a hodgepodge of all things delicious and breakfast-esque? A breakfast bowl may not always appear to be the healthiest of options when stuffed with too much cheddar, hash browns and runny eggs, but low and behold, there is such a thing as one. 

This oatmeal bowl is much more savory than sweet, therefore, soaking up all of the vodka sodas from the night before. With the combination of a little cheese, eggs, greens and a dash of bacon, the bowl is the epitome of a balanced breakfast, and the preparation is painless for those who claim they are unable to move. Feel free to omit any ingredients and add your favorite veggies or spices into the mix to personalize it to your liking. 

The recipe below yields four servings, so be sure to be generous and share with your equally hungover roomies as well. 

1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 1 cup old-fashioned oats, 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, to taste, 4 slices bacon, chopped, 3 garlic cloves, finely minced, grated, or pressed, 2 bunches Swiss chard, ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped, a pinch of red pepper flakes, a drizzle of toasted sesame oil, eggs, fried or poached to desired doneness, scallions, chopped, toasted sesame seeds, hot sauce. 

FOR THE OATMEAL:

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Season with a pinch of salt and then add in the oats. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the oats are cooked and the mixture is creamy. Stir in the shredded cheese and season with pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.

FOR THE GREENS:

In a large skillet, crisp the bacon until rendered. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside for garnish. Remove the pan from the heat for a few minutes and then add in the garlic. Return the pan to medium-low heat, so as not to burn the garlic. Cook garlic for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add in the greens and red pepper flakes, tossing them evenly in the garlic and oil. Cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently, or until the greens are softened and wilted but still have texture. Season, to taste, with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil, salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Recipe from Yes to Yolks

Pineapple hangover smoothie

Nix the milkshake and cue the smoothie! Sometimes, it may seem difficult to even think about letting food enter your body the day following a night’s worth of heavy drinking. But this beverage is filling and serves as the perfect solution to ensure one remains hydrated throughout their Sunday scaries.

All you need for this simple quick-fix is some pineapple, canned or uncanned, which aids in detoxing the body as it is filled with an abundance of vitamin C, a banana for potassium purposes, coconut water, which is rich with electrolytes and ginger to put an end to all vomiting and nausea. 

Not a fan of pineapple? Fear not, the fruit can easily be substituted with oranges as the two hold similar nutritional value. 

Add all ingredients to a blender's cup. You can add ice for a thicker smoothie. Blend ingredients for 30 seconds to one minute. Serve it right away. Drink smoothie as soon as you make it. Voila, your hangover is no longer and now a distant memory.

Recipe from Milk and Pop.

3-Ingredient banana oat pancakes

Boy does a stack of hotcakes from IHOP sound incredibly delicious after a night out. Don’t succumb to the temptation, though. Your body and bank account will be thanking you for investing in a more invigorating and cost-friendly alternative once all is said and done. 

Potassium is a key ingredient in healing a hangover, and pancakes are simply heavenly. So why not combine the two for a 3-ingredient banana oat pancake entree that contains plant-based protein and fiber that leaves one highly satisfied? And hey, the pancakes are also dairy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free and vegan for those searching for a more dietary restricted option. 

Grab some old-fashioned oats, a large ripe banana and unsweetened almond milk. Add the old-fashioned rolled oats into a high-speed blender. Blend on high speed into a thin flour. Then, add in the ripe banana flesh and almond milk. Blend again at high speed until the batter is thick and runny.

If the batter is too thick, add a bit more almond milk, add 1 tablespoon at a time.

Transfer the pancake vegan batter into a large mixing bowl and set aside 10 minutes at room temperature.

COOK

Grease a pancake griddle with coconut oil or vegan butter. Then, scoop out 3 tablespoons of vegan banana pancake batter per pancake. Cook for two to three minutes until golden brown, then flip on the other side and keep cooking for one to two minutes. Cool down on a cooling rack while cooking the remaining batter. You should make 10 pancakes with this recipe, and you can double the recipe to meal prep some healthy pancakes.

ADD-ONS

If you want to make fluffier pancakes or add some flavor and sweetness to the recipe, add some of the ingredients below:

1 teaspoon baking powder, 3 tablespoons vegan dark chocolate chips, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar.

To elaborate on the dish, top the cakes with some more bananas to coincide with the flavor, or try raspberries, blueberries or peanut butter. 

Recipe from The Conscious Plant Kitchen

Easy homemade chicken noodle soup

We already know a nice, warm bowl of chicken noodle soup can fix a cold, a broken heart, but did you know it can also fix a hangover? Essentially, it can work as the answer to anything and everything. 

Made with egg noodles, juicy chicken, vegetables, garlic, herbs and a hint of lemon coated in a hearty broth, this soup is sure to bring comfort to all of the lingering, daunting thoughts of what you might have said to your situationship or a romantic interest the night before. 

Your hungry, hungover tummy won’t have to wait long for this dish to be ready, as it takes only a mere 30 minutes to prepare and make. 

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add to it the noodles, boiling till they are tender. Then, drain them and rinse them with cold water, toss with olive oil to keep them from sticking, and put them aside till you’re ready to add them to the soup.

In the same pot (or a different one if you choose), melt the butter. Then stir into the butter, garlic, onions, celery and carrots. Saute all of the veggies for three to four minutes.

Now, add the chicken broth, water, lemon juice, salt, pepper and rosemary to the pot. Let this boil and then cook for five to 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas and cooked noodles and allow soup to simmer for another three to five minutes. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper as desired. Garnish with those fresh herbs if you’d like and serve. 

If a bowl of soup doesn’t fill you up as much as you would like, cut up some whole-wheat bread and dip it into the broth for some much-needed carbs, or pair it with a colorful salad to put yourself in your own homemade Panera! 

Recipe from Creme de la Crumb.

Snickers caramel apple salad

For those whose sweet tooth tends to come out the morning following a lot of drinking, this unconventionally healthy, tasty salad is for you. Both perfect for an autumn morning amongst the holiday season and a dish that could be your new staple at Thanksgiving dinner, look no further than to this Snickers caramel apple salad. 

Yes, this dish more so qualifies as a dessert, but no one’s judging. Tell your friends you munched on a salad for brunch, and they will be pleasantly surprised you swapped this for a leftover cookie from Insomnia. 

Though it is unhealthier than the other options, it is still better than a chicken finger meal from Steak ‘n Shake and only 313 calories for how filling it is. The ingredients consist of instant vanilla pudding mix, cool whip, chopped apples, snickers bars and the option of added marshmallows, too. The whole thing gets drizzled with caramel sauce.

Pick out your favorite fall apple from your local grocery store and get to cooking.

INGREDIENTS

6 small apples, cored and chopped, 6 (1.86-ounce) Snickers Bars, cut into bite-sized pieces, 1 (5.1-ounce) box instant vanilla pudding mix, 1/2 cup milk, 1 (12-ounce) container Cool Whip, 1 cup marshmallows, (optional) and a 1/2 cup caramel sauce. 

INSTRUCTIONS

Whisk together pudding mix and milk in a large bowl. Fold in Cool Whip. Fold in apples, chopped Snickers and marshmallows. Drizzle caramel sauce on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen.

@emmadollenmayer 

ed569918@ohio.edu