Episode 2 of ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ is now streaming on Disney+. (Photo provided via @NickMenakos on Twitter)

TV Review: Episode 2 of ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ leaves fans worried for rest of season

Episode two of The Book of Boba Fett, starring Temuera Morrison and Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen), has just been released, and it is leaving fans feeling more worried about the direction this show is headed and the overall plot of the story.

The episode, titled “The Tribes of Tatooine,” made me excited at first when I woke up to watch the show. It’s a 54-minute episode, which is fairly long for a “Star Wars” or even a Marvel show, so it's easy to believe that we would get a rich story set in the present and would move the story forward into the main plot and establish villains. 

However, I was completely wrong, as the majority of this episode was once again flashbacks, which are proving to be a lackluster and disappointing feature of the series thus far. 

From the episode’s 54-minute runtime, about 12 minutes and 48 seconds are set in the present, which is what all the marketing was showing and telling us would be the bulk of the story. 

In “The Tribes of Tatooine,” 34 minutes and 2 seconds are flashbacks, which show us how Boba Fett gained the respect of the Tusken Raiders — something that was already shown in the previous episode. Additionally, the flashbacks show how Boba Fett got his outfit and club, which he had in his first appearance in The Mandalorian

The main plot of this episode was Boba teaching the Tuskens how to be more civilized and how to defend themselves against the gangs that trespass on their land. It had some emotional moments, and many fans will enjoy the montage of the Raiders learning to use speeders. But, this show is called The Book of Boba Fett, not The Book of The Tusken Raiders.

In the present time, the plot showed us the Hutt twins, Jabba’s cousins, who want to claim the throne from Boba Fett, and that’s pretty much it.

To say this episode left me disappointed would be an understatement. If this is the direction that this show is going, I am not sure if many fans of the franchise will be satisfied or entertained with a series of flashbacks and no new plot. In about the hour and a half of series that we have in these two episodes so far, we haven’t really established anything of note. This might be a problem considering the show is only seven episodes. 

Comparatively, The Mandalorian season two had a slow pace in the first two episodes, but it has eight episodes to tell the story. Although it’s uncertain to tell, it looks like the flashbacks are mainly finished as Boba Fett is now in the same place he was in The Mandalorian. Hopefully, the next episodes in the series will begin to pick up pace and make up for lost time. 

Rating: 2.5/5  

@Griffinshaivitz

gs813919@ohio.edu