City Council meets together on Monday, Sept. 13, 2021.

City Council: Possible addition to West Union Street improvements project discussed

Athens City Council met Monday to discuss land appropriations for the West Union Street improvements project.

The entire project has been in the works for many years, and that particular land appropriation would be for a connector road.

The connector road is expected to improve the flow of traffic along parts of West State Street. Councilwoman Sarah Grace, D-At Large, said that given the volume of traffic on sections of West State Street, it’s wise to have a secondary access point for vehicles. 

“I think it will provide a good exit for traffic following events at West State Street and will thus ease the traffic burden on West State and South Shafer and other routes by diverting some of the traffic over to Union (Street),” Grace said. 

Councilman Jeffrey Risner, D-2nd Ward, said he and his colleagues have met with Andrew Stone, service safety director for the city, and have discussed the use of eminent domain. That would allow Council the right to take away private property for public use with compensation. 

“That’s something that no community, and certainly not this Council, will take lightly to do when we’re dealing with appropriating someone’s property for the public good,” Risner said. 

Councilwoman Solveig Spjeldnes, D-1st Ward, said she spoke with one of her constituents, who were concerned that the improvement project could increase traffic through the neighborhoods. 

Councilman Sam Crowl, D-3rd Ward, said he believes the project is a necessity and the benefits of it outweigh concerns of increased traffic. 

The City and Safety Services Committee met to discuss the design and construction of tennis and pickleball courts. There is currently a contract to use existing funds to use for design services.

Stone said the committee is asking for an appropriation and an authorization of $250,000 for the entire project, which includes replacing existing tennis courts and adding pickleball courts. 

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu