Here are six of the best heartbreak songs to listen to following Valentine’s Day

Let’s all admit it. What is there to do when couples seem to be displaying excessive amounts of PDA and gifting each other chocolate and roses left and right these days -- especially around and following Valentine’s Day -- while the ones without a significant other sulk in the corner? Obviously, listen to sad, and maybe slightly concerning music. 

Here are some of the best heartbreak songs to listen to if Valentine’s Day was the unwarranted reminder that you’re still single:

“All Too Well” (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) by Taylor Swift

Ah, yes the ultimate heartbreak song. If you’re looking to sob for a solid 10 minutes while screaming, “And you call me up again just to break me like a promise,” then this is the perfect song to let out all the frustration, angst, jealousy and anger you’re feeling. Swift’s vivid lyrics and storytelling tone will take you on a journey through a couple with a significant age gap, trying to piece together the hearts they both shattered, and by the end of the song, tears will not be able to stop falling down your face.

“Tell Me How” by Paramore

“I can’t call you a stranger, but I can’t call you” is by far one of Paramore’s most heartbreaking lyrics. While this song doesn’t contain intense vocals or high-level production, it makes up for these qualities through its subtle use of piano and guitar mixed with William’s whispers of wishing to restore the relationship she once had with someone. “Tell Me How” causes one to sit and really examine all the relationships in their life, resulting in an existential tone that will most likely cause you to spiral into a midlife crisis.

“Cellophane” by FKA twigs

If you really want to feel sorry for yourself, FKA twigs' serenade of not living up to her potential, nor having confidence in herself, will likely do just the trick. “Cellophane’s” chorus repeats the same question, “Didn’t I do it for ya?” emphasizing the way that sometimes giving one’s all in a relationship is not enough. This song is great when you’re feeling lonely or unworthy, which everyone experiences at some point in their lives, and allows you to sulk in your own self-pity. The singer’s impressive vibrato and near breakdown at the end cause listeners to feel her own pain and suffering, similar to the feelings they may be having during this time of year.

“Robbers” by The 1975

This classic from The 1975 provides a soothing accompaniment to any cryfest or emotional breakdown over a previous breakup. Frontman Matty Healy’s cries are bound to leave you to never believe in love again, It sounds like a 1980s rock song, with a stunning guitar intro that will bring tears to your eyes in a matter of seconds. This song is the best for a long car ride or walk, preferably both in the rain, to process your emotions and feelings towards a person, whether they are from the past or present.

“Sorry” by Halsey

This song describes the way one feels after a breakup: full of self-pity, remorse and regret. The lyrics contain the exact same sentiments, especially with lyrics like “Sorry to my unknown lover / Sorry that I can’t believe / That anybody ever really starts to fall in love with me.” With just Halsey’s voice and a piano, “Sorry” provides the haunting realization that you may not ever be able to fully love someone because of your own insecurities, no matter how hard you try to overcome them. Overall, it’s definitely worth the listen if you’re in the mood to reexamine every relationship you’ve ever been in.

“Cherry” by Harry Styles

If there’s one thing Harry Styles is good at, it’s creating vulnerable music. “Cherry” tells the tale of trying to move on after loving someone for a long time, but still not being able to rid yourself of the memories you shared with them all those years. It’s a reminiscence of the sacred and wholesome days during the start of a budding relationship, and a tragedy that those days ever had to come to an end. Lines like “Don’t you call him baby / We’re not talking lately / Don’t you call him what you used to call me” will stab you in the heart and cause a tsunami of tears. The end is what will get you the most, with a voice memo from Styles’ ex-girlfriend as a reminder that you never forget the people you love.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu