(Photo provided via @bookofbobbafett on Instagram)

TV Review: ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ should’ve stayed in the sarlacc pit

Star Wars’ The Book of Boba Fett, starring Temuera Morrison and Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen), has released its final episode. Shockingly, it never lived up to its potential. After it failed in terms of plot in many ways, it’s clear to see this series suffered from poor direction and writing issues.

For the past two episodes, the show has mainly been focused on The Mandalorian, which is obviously very odd considering that Boba Fett is not the main character in his own show for almost one-third of the runtime.

The main focus for those two episodes was not just the Mandalorian, Baby Yoda, Luke Skywalker and Ashoka Tano. However, this has nothing to do with Boba Fett, and these two episodes felt like they didn’t even belong in the show; it looked like it should have been the first two episodes for season 3 of The Mandalorian instead.

Another odd thing about the plot is what they did with Luke; they didn’t have Mark Hamill do any voice lines, as they had an A.I recreate his voice entirely for the show, resulting in him sounding almost robotic. Either way, when coming into the finale, fans still didn’t know the reason for this show; no scenes of the villains and their motives and Boba Fett still doing nothing in building a crime syndicate. 

Up to the finale, the hour-long slog of an episode had no stakes and shows that this series had potential, but really had no direction. This entire episode consists of one battle in which no one on the friendly team ever dies, not even the extras.

But, wouldn’t you think this might be because Disney characters can not die in gruesome ways such as getting shot at? You’d be wrong, as the Mayor of Mos Espa gets hung by Fennec at the very end. If you thought that was out of place, then just wait-- the T-1 from Terminator 3 makes an appearance and is the big weapon that the Syndicate has.

Besides the terrible action, the plot makes little sense too. Baby Yoda chooses a shirt instead of Yoda’s lightsaber, which means that he is kicked out of the Jedi Order and is, therefore, returned to the Mandalorian, making the entirety of him completely pointless, as now Baby Yoda is just there and will continue to be with the Mandalorian until the end of time. Boba Fett, as a character, has been completely ruined by this show. De is shown to be unneeded, weak and utterly incompetent in this show. From this point onwards, his character is completely ruined much like Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

Sadly, this show will only continue to show the writers at Lucasfilm that the fans just want more fan service in their shows. The best-rated episodes of this series were ones that were solely based on the fan service and people saying, “Oh my God, It’s Luke! It’s Cad Bane! It’s Baby Yoda!” over and over again. If this is the direction that the Star Wars franchise continues to take, then fans might not be sticking around too long. But, like his show, Boba Fett should’ve stayed dead in the Sarlacc Pit.

Rating: 2/5

@Griffinshaivitz

gs813919@ohio.edu